Return to Website

Earth Forum

What can one do to preserve the environment?

Earth Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No Subject

when you get to stay at home longer than when you are outside, you will really notice how large our garbage volume is even for 1 day. i have thought of ways to reduce this volume and much to my regret i am not successful.

i first thought that having an incinerator cum oven would be neat but i do not have the technical knowledge to go it. it's something like using cumbustible trash as coal for an oven in which i could cook.

next i thought of digging a hole on our backyard to let dead leaves and other biodegradable materials decompose. but then this would really smell.

i've also thought of making art out of trash. this i think is a great idea since there is a possibility that i could get revenue from this. i'm right now keeping old newspaper that i will turn into a chair. but there are a lot more trash than newspapers like empty powder containers, bottles, cans.i wonder if you hold something like a crafts workshop using these materials? i think it will really interest children and old alike.

Re: No Subject

The main problem with garbage is that someone persuaded you to buy it in the first place.

A major problem for any incinerator is that if you put chlorine into it you get dioxins out. You may not want to breath those poisons. You may have no intention of puting chlorine into the flames but you would have to exclude common salt and many plastics in order to do so.

There are lots of other chemical concoctions that come out of an incinerator. Your best option is to stop buying junk wrapped around the stuff that you want IMO.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

when you get to stay at home longer than when you are outside, you will really notice how large our garbage volume is even for 1 day. i have thought of ways to reduce this volume and much to my regret i am not successful.

i first thought that having an incinerator cum oven would be neat but i do not have the technical knowledge to go it. it's something like using cumbustible trash as coal for an oven in which i could cook.

next i thought of digging a hole on our backyard to let dead leaves and other biodegradable materials decompose. but then this would really smell.

i've also thought of making art out of trash. this i think is a great idea since there is a possibility that i could get revenue from this. i'm right now keeping old newspaper that i will turn into a chair. but there are a lot more trash than newspapers like empty powder containers, bottles, cans.i wonder if you hold something like a crafts workshop using these materials? i think it will really interest children and old alike.

lessening garbage by recycling and using shopping bags

Hi!

Just want you to know, Papemelroti is coming out with a new booklet on Recycling very soon now. The waste products are indexed alphabetically so you can find projects for them instead of having them end up at the local landfill.

Plus most of our garbage is plastic since it doesnt disintegrate. We all have to do our share and try to reduce the plastic we consume. Here in the Philippines, instead of receiving items in plastic bags, just use your own shopping bag (if the purchase is a large one) or just put your items in your bag (if it fits) and we all save on plastic!!!