PanzerBlitz Forum

The forum of the PanzerBlitz Website

PanzerBlitz Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Soldiers Update

Howdy Everyone,

Since last weekend we’ve picked up a few more subscribers and our number totals 51. There have also been a few, though nebulous, offers to write. Article submissions are what will ultimately drive this magazine. They are the reason people subscribe; the reason people want a magazine. So, I’m pleading for authors to step forward, especially for non-Avalon Hill games. Furthermore, without authors willing to initially work for free, even the concept of a “free initial issue” for purposes of exhibiting the talent of the authors and the value of “Old Solders” becoming moot.

As I write, GenCon is ongoing in Indianapolis. I sort of wish I was there, but truly GenCon isn’t my cup of tea. For those of you who are going to the convention, and who haven’t yet left, it runs from Wed. to Sunday this week at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis. I would ask that you take the opportunity to let people you meet there know of the effort we are making to found a new publication. Relate to them the goals of the magazine, that being to publish articles not only on Avalon Hill games, but also all Out of Print games, and games from by gone publishers, as well as to promote new games from lesser companies, especially those without a voice in the larger established hobby press. We desire to provide an electronic copy of the magazine to those of the generation who wish to receive information that way as well to our overseas subscribers to avoid the costs of postage, and to provide hard copies of the magazine to the older wargame generation which still values having a magazine in their hands. It is our intention to provide a yearly die-cut counter sheet for variants (should enough variants appear in the magazine to warrant it) as well as color graphic inserts (new boards, cards, etc.). Merely ask those who are interested to drop a line to me at tgunslinger@excite.com to be added to the subscriber database.

It has been through your efforts that we’ve reached the number of subscribers we have, and I feel good about our chances. Unlike other magazines, this is YOUR magazine. I ascribe to the same principles as the editor/publisher of this magazine as I do when acting as a GM for Gunslinger. My efforts are merely those of a “secretary” for the group. I do not believe in making capricious rulings. The wishes of the subscribers are taken seriously. I desire to provide for the community that which you desire in a magazine, within the goals stated above. After all what is a magazine except that it serves its subscribers? I want you all to feel that you can approach me, write me, and call me, with any suggestions you feel are important to you. I’m not some ivory tower type. I try very hard to implement the values my father, an old sergeant, taught me, that being to “take care of your men”. I value strongly those words and have always done my best to carry them out in every business in which I’ve managed people. And here, this means to me to take care of my subscribers. So, this is your magazine, and your efforts are what will make or break this effort. We’re nearly half way to our threshold number to begin publication (110). We’re short of that mark by only 4 today.

Keep pushing, do your best to spread the word about Old Soldiers (especially take advantage of GenCon you’re going to be there), and keep the faith. And for the writers amongst us, to paraphrase Billy Crystal, “Writers write, always”. We need article submissions.

Take Care,
Tom Cundiff
Old Soldiers Magazine