AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
DW1000

How are you people installing this windshield? If you are following AGRSS guidelines you are supposed to urethane these in, are you doing this???

Re: DW1000

This is where i start having a problem with AGRSS.You can also take the Dw1080/1081,DL4761,DL4746 etc...
How can we as an industry,tell the manufacturers that they are not building their vehicles the right way?It seems that the manufactures have started to update the way they install glass.They are becoming encapsulated now.So urethane has now entered the picture.
Upgrade you say?If they all passed some sort of testing that way,and they are legal for the road that way,What is the matter with putting them back in that way?
As for installing,I use three w/s sticks.Starting on the right side i put them thru the rubber on the top corner and push.Rope it back in,seal the outer gasket with dintrol 410.
No; i do not use urethane.Until it is mandated from the manufacture themselves.

I'm ready for the heat on this.

The way we view it is simple. This is not an 'ultimate' determination of AGRSS. As with ANY installation, the manufacturers and engineers who design any given vehicle hold the responsibility to determine the correct procedures for the safe replacement of not only windshields, but any part on their vehicles.
As I have said before, there is no way that AGRSS can override ANY adhesive manufacturers procedures. AGRSS does not design nor test any adhesives or vehicle structures to a point that they can say what should or should not be done in certain situations. They can give general recommendations, but must yield to the vehicle and individual adhesive manufacturers recommendations/requirements. For them to do so would be saying that they know more than the engineers who have designed the products. I know there are several very intelligent persons with AGRSS, but no engineers that I know of.

pretty much the way we decide to use urethane or not is if it has ever been installed from the factory with urethane. as for the dw 1000 i have done several of these and have not used urethane. but have also never seen one from the factory with urethane.
plus in my own opinion these trucks probably have a stronger cab since they don't have to try to be light like cars. so that is why they aren't using urethane.

We use urethane, small bead, on every gasket windshield. If nothing else it seems to help seal the installation. Small bead under the gasket on the body and glass side.

Something to remember is, I believe AGRSS says urethane if the vehicle will be used for "highway use", then the gasket should be sealed with urethane. I think is mainly because highway travel speeds have increased about 20mph in some areas since the time these vehicles were designed. Perhaps that is one reason?

I do not want to sound argumentative;But were they not made for highway use.Speeds around here have been the same since they lifted the 55 mph law.We got that back in the mid 80's.And i see that they still installed 1000's up to 2006.With NO urethane.If it is that unsafe,why hasn't there been a recall?

I LOVE AGRSS vt glass man, sorry I love them.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com