AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
2006 Jeep Commander

Anyone have any calls from your jeep dealership about a whistling noise around the windshield of the new commander?

If so the problem is the top molding. I've tried to stop the air from going up the a-pillar, didn't help.
I ended up sealing under the molding all the way across w/ 418 and that stopped the whistling, but I have never really found the true cause. I've done 6 of them so far.

Anyone else done these and found the real problem of how the air is getting underneath the molding causing it to whistle.
I've also noticed that different commanders have different porthole windows on the top. One has a inverted molding and the other car doesn't. No one at the dealership now's why either.
Can anyone shed some lite on this?

Re: 2006 Jeep Commander

Just did one of these as well. I have the Service Bulletin in front of me. #23-004-06 dated 1/21/06.

The top molding is inverted. Looks just like a Honda Element and coincidentally, we have seen this same problem with the Element.

Here is everything listed on this TSB. When we test drove it after sealing the molding, the side mirrors were also giving a HORRIBLE wind noise. Funny the mirrors aren't listed in the TSB but my guess is the only fix would be to make the mirrors aerodynamic. (gee, wouldn't that be a good idea?)

A. Wind whistle/water leak at Primary door seal (all doors)

B. Wind rush like sound near accelerator pedal on 5.7L equipped vehicles

C. Water leak from A pillar grab handle, Front edge of headliner or sunvisor attachment.

D. Water leak from headliner above door or at base of A pillar, B pillar or C pillar.

E. Wind whistle at top of windshield (this is the one we fixed)

F. Wind whistle at sunroof

G. wind whistle at front door

H. Wind whistle at rear door

I. Wind whistle or water leak at inside center of cowl panel.

J. Wind whistle or water leak from inside bulkhead panel seams.

K. Wind whistle at inside lower corner of windshield.

L. Wind whistle or water leak at cowl panel to A pillar side joint.

Nice.... Anyone running out to the Jeep dealer tomorrow to spend $40,000???

Yo,

Just booked an '06 Commander shield for tomorrow. I have only ever done one these and it was @ an auto auction a few years ago. If I remember correctly they are just like the Jeep Libertys only a bit bigger.

Is my memory shot or am I dead on????

Ahhhhh Soooooo, Young Grasshopper.
I think your memory is shot:) The Commander is new for 2006, so if ya did one a few years ago, perhaps it was a prototype for Chrysler..... :) J/K
Now, back to my '06 Jetta door glass........

I say afew years ago, but it probably wasn't that long ago. Who knows. They all run together after awhile. I was thinking it was sometime in late 2005 when I worked at an auto auction for one of the bigger corps. Lots of leased vehicles, rental cars and program cars. I used to work Enterprises re-marketing department for the same corp so it could have even been on their lot.

you still stuck with that door glass?

Hope your charging well. Sounds like a real pain in the arse.

Done a few wiht no problems... I don't like the seam sealer at the bottom of the "a" pillars though...

the stuff is really thick and it peals right off the vehical when ya strip the thane off! NICE!!!

Alot of Chryslers/Dodges/Jeeps have that problem with the 'thane pealing right off in the bottom corners and sometimes even all the way across the bottom...I've had that happen several times.

Definitley didn't like the bottom corners on this vehicle. A big chunk of the body filler came right off when I was trimming the bead.

Otherwise it was a gravy install. Not hard at all. Not even a rear view mirror to deal with.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com