Hi all:

I would like to know:

1) how does one password protect pages and/or do sign-ins for them,
2) how many pages can one password protect

Thanks
A

Re: Password Protect Pages

http://support.bravenet.com/viewkb.php

go to link above and put in Password protect in the category area from the drop down menu and read the faq's all about the password protect service to see if it is what you want

brilliant resource... they should have it on the top of the help pages as a static useable form .... thank so much

I read all the information and the service doesn't do what I had hoped it would, ie: give people access to a webpage that they can edit and add information to.

I am putting together a Chamber website and had wanted all the businesses to be able to edit their own webpage as this is volunteer and with 200+ businesses it would be a full time job doing it myself for people.

Does anyone have an idea on how this might be accomplished? Would be grateful for a direction.

Thanks,
A

It's better not to piggy-back your queries, and it's best not to cross-post on these forums. (I'm sort of violating that, in a way, here, but because I was replying to you in the other thread and someone else may be interested in the same thing you have asked about here, I'm pasting in my response to your cross-posted query on how to set up sites for your members, here:)

I'll just give my opinion that you don't want to put yourself in the position of having 200+ people calling you or emailing you, asking for help getting their sites to work, complaining about the setup you have chosen for them, etc. Many of those businesses will already have their own websites, and they won't want to waste the effort to produce a second one just for your site.

Most C of C-type sites that I have seen just provide links to the constituent businesses' existing sites, and with a total of 200+ businesses to deal with, keeping those links up-to-date will probably be enough work to keep you busy for at least a few minutes every week. You could add a page with hints for your members, to explain what it takes to set up a simple, one-page web site, so they could have a web presence of sorts, and explain what they have to do to qualify to have their site linked from yours. You should check other, similar sites, and see what they have done. Don't assume you can trust everyone to have proper content on their sites.

Good luck!

I am using password protect pro. It does a good job of masking the url of the page in the address bar and if I click on page properties in the toolbar. But when I go into the page and right click to see the properties, the name of the page appears! Not very secure!!! Can I do anything?? It doesn't seem right that I should pay out $50 bucks a year unless I really can protect our club members private information?

you really can't protect them

anyone can work around the password protect pages and more

What if I changed the name of the page to the bravenet url that appears in the address bar? I also started looking a programs to encrypt specific pages or the whole site. One was only about $20. http://www.html-protector.com Is it just wishful thinking on my part that it will work?

I agree, you may be able to protect your html from the average peron, but if someone who knows what they are doing want your code .... they will get it.

Is there really something very special that you need to protect so badly?

It's the membership contact list of a club with about 50 members, including email addresses, home address, phone. I seriously doubt a member would figure it out and even if they did they wouldn't do anything harmful with it. It's the someone eveil stumbling upon it that scares me.