This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: HELP! why can't I upload files using FTP?

The web server doesn't try to look all over your web site for your files. When a visitor uses your URL, the server looks in your web sites "root" folder for a file named "index.html" or "index.htm". If it finds one, it sends it to the visitor. If not, it generates an error message. If you have your "index.html" in some other folder, the server is not going to go looking for it.

You said you uploaded your files to "/web/awatkins.bravehost.com/simpleviewer". For a visitor to see your "index.html" it needs to be in "/web/awatkins.bravehost.com". From a FTP viewpoint, that is your web sites "root" folder. From the internet, "www.awatkins.bravehost.com/" is your web site "root" folder.

If I use "http://awatkins.bravehost.com/simpleviewer" for a URL, I get a file, but it's not a HTML file. It looks to me like it is a configuration file from whatever Photo Album utility you are using. Web servers do not understand all the various files that a utility on your PC generates. When you are trying to go to the web, you usually export your files as ".html" or ".htm". This is often under the "Save As" function. Then you would upload the HTML files and image files.

I can see some of your ".tpl" files, which reference some ".html" files. Some of them exist, some don't. A ".tpl" file may be useful with your Photo Album software, but it's rather useless on a web server. Since we really don't know what your using to create your image gallery, you need to go back to the help files and see what you need to do, for uploading to a web server. The output file types for use on a web server would have ".html", ".jpg", ".gif", ".css", ".js", and ".php" extensions. Maybe a few more, depending on how it does it's export.