This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ftp question

Hi! I have a quick question about ftp. So if you have time, please continue reading. Alright, can anybody explain how to use/get the ftp CHMOD command?

Re: Ftp question

The "chmod" command is used to adjust the "read/write/execute" permissions, or attributes, for files and directories. It's common, for example, for a PHP forum installations to require changing the access permissions of a configuration file, during initial setup. After setup, the access permissions are change again, to prevent others from changing it.

Most FTP tools implement the "chmod" process in a properties, or attribute, view. You select the file/directory, and then "right-click" on "properties" or "attributes". This will usually bring up a window that will allow you to set "read/write/execute" permissions for "owner/group/others". The image at the right is from an Explorer window used in the FTP mode. It shows the properties of a file and allows you to adjust them.

The problem you might be having is that not all FTP tools implement this command. The slow and plodding FTP Applet, available in your Bravenet Account Manager, does not appear to have that functionality. But you can download a free copy of Filezilla, which does support changing file/folder permissions/attributes. I use an Explorer window for most of my FTP needs and it does support changing file/folder permissions/attributes.

Note, "chmod" access from FTP, does not gives you an ability to set the "setuid", "setgid", and "sticky" bits. This must be done through a "shell" access, which most web hosts do not allow. But you seldom need to deal with these bits.