This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Microsoft Frontpage

Trying to figure out how to use existing bravehost account. I built a new site in frontpage and want to upload it to the account here. www.glhorsetruth.com

Browser: kidcowboy75,2

Re: Microsoft Frontpage

I see a white page here with text on it and a couple pictures.

with frontpage I upload via ftp

I use frontpage but upload via an ftp program

Your problem seems to be the css file. It is supposed to be at
http://glhorsetruth.com/_themes/expeditn/expe1011.css
however, it isn't, and there is no subdirectory named expeditn

(and no _themes)

Another problem seems to be your images. On the "Post seizure page", you have about 14 megabytes of images. Images need to be resized and optimized before uploading. Don't put more than about half a percent of what you got now on a single page. If that sounds impossible: On that page, you have 16 images that have been properly treated before upload. Those 16 images together are only 60 kilobytes.

I've been wondering how you are able to view the directory structure of a website that is not your own?
How do you know wether or not a subdirectory exists on someone else's website?

How do you know wether or not a subdirectory exists on someone else's website?

In some cases we simply give an educated guess based on what users have done in the past. In Matt's case, we don't really know that the "_themes" and "expeditn" folder don't exist. We only know that,the style sheet doesn't seem to exist where it is specified. And from past experience, the most common problem is that the user never uploaded the file or uploaded it to the wrong place. Users often don't realize that web pages are not single files, and that there is usually a folder or two that contains support files. So we just start taking apart the full URL looking to see if it was possibly uploaded somewhere else. Sometimes we find the missing file, sometimes not. Sometimes our guesses are better than other times.

In Matt's case, I would guess that he didn't upload the required folders. But, also in Matt's case, I would not use FTP, especially if I was dealing with paid hosting and want to use FrontPage Extensions. Free sites don't allow FrontPage Extensions, so the simplest way to upload is with FTP. But, on paid web sites, uploading via FTP disables the FrontPage Extensions. If you have FrontPage Extensions enabled in your account, the built-in upload capability will upload all the file/folders necessary for your web pages to work.

Thanks Martin, I appreciate the explanation