This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Internal linking

Hi I am trying to do some internal linking. I am new to HTML and am trying to use a code I found on the internet. What I want to do is make a type of table/directory at the top of the page...for example:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

then I want to be able to click on one of those above (say "S" for instance) and jump to that letter on the page.

I have been using this code:

(for the beginning letter at top of page)
A

(For ending point)

A

It worked to set it up...but when I preview it and click on "S" or any other Letter, it takes me back to my editing page. Is there something left out of the HTML or am I doing it wrong? I really appreciate any help that I can get. Thank you so much!

Re: Internal linking

Sorry it didn't show the codes...

(Top of page code)

A at the end)

(Ending point code)

A

)

You must have put the link to the page in its editing form rather than its form of address that would appear on the internet.

Go back and get the address as it would be on the internet.

The code you were trying to post is correct. This is referred to as an anchor link. Your code is listed below.

(Top of page code)
A

(Ending point code)

A

The anchor link is not causing you problems. If it's used as you have listed, there shouldn't be a problem. It's the editor preview mode that is giving you trouble. When you preview, you are not viewing your web site, you are viewing an example, created on the fly by the editor.

Your link is using a relative reference. Your browser always knows where it is, and will automatically add the necessary prefix information to a relative link. But in the preview mode, your browser is not looking at your web site, like you might think. It is looking at an example created by the preview operation, so you are still on Bravenet. When your browser tries to fill in the prefix information, it fills in Bravenet's information, not yours.

I found WebSpeak's posting a little confusing. But, I think what WebSpeak is trying to say is, use your full URL in the anchor link.

A

But, that isn't going to make it work in the preview mode either. Because your preview window is actually still on Bravenet, your link will try to reach out to your web site, and find the anchor. But if you haven't saved your pages with the links, so your web site is exactly what you have in the editor, there may not be any anchor to find.

Your best option it to keep your code the way it is, save your edits to your web site, and then view your pages on-line through another browser window. Then all your links should work.