This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Links not linking to correct pages

Yes, you have created a little bit of a mess. You haven't given any details about how your creating your web site, but here is what I see.

When you started your web site, you selected a Website Wizard Layout. You added some content and used the "publish website" option, probably several times. Then, clever person that you are, you figured out that, when you used the "publish website" button, your web site files were written to your web site. You could see them from the File Manager and you could open them up and modify them with the Visual and Text editors. You also figured out that, you didn't have to "publish" all of your Wizard pages, all of the time. You could selectively "publish" your pages. You continued with the Wizard for some of your pages, but your "Home Page" and "About Us" pages are now being edited from the File Manger. Now your puzzled as to why, when you change something with the Visual/Text editors, it isn't reflected in the Wizard. And, visa versa. Why your navigation doesn't connect you to the correct pages, on some the pages, but works on others.

Am I close? I know I'm pretty close, because I can see it in your web page code. The Wizard and the editors in the File Manager, leave tell tale marks.

The Website Wizards are self contained web page design tools. There are two Wizards but both works in a similar manner. The Wizard operates as a data base. Any changes made to your web pages, while in the Wizard, update this data base. When you use the "publish" option, your web pages are written to your web site. Now, here is the part you didn't want to hear. The Website Wizard CAN NOT realize ANY changes made with ANY editor outside of the Wizard. So if you change your web page content with the editors in the File Manager, the Wizard will not see the changes. Conversely, if you add/subtract a page in the Wizard, and then selectively "publish" your pages, the ones you didn't publish will never see a change to the navigation menu. This is the situation you are in now.

The solution is to pick how you want to create your website. If you choose the Wizard, you need to do ALL your editing within the Wizard manager. When you "publish" from the Wizard, publish everything. This is the only way to ensure that all of your pages are linked together properly.

You can also choose to edit everything from the File Manager's editors. If you do, you are on the hook to make sure everything works on the pages. If you change the name of a page, add a page, or just reshuffle the navigation menu, you need to change all the pages. Nothing is automatically changes through out your pages. Nothing in the Wizards, including the "publish" option, are not usable with this method.

Bottom line, do not mix the Website Wizards with anything.