This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: generating web hits

It's usually pretty easy to find a web site, if you put the actual URL into a Google search. I think what you really mean is that, you want your web site to start turning up in Google searches, when keywords related to your site are used.

Start by setting up your tags. You are using a Wizard Layout. In the Wizard is a link that says "website details". You have already entered your Website Title there, not go back there and fill out the rest of the fields. These will generate "author", "description", and "keyword" tags in the head of all your pages. Many search engines use this information when they index your site.

Having your name in the "author" tag will start associating you with the "description" and the words in the "keyword" tags. Keep the "description brief. Just enough to fit on one line of a Google hit display. In the "keyword" field, enter words that you would like associated with your web site. These should be words that are also included somewhere in your web sites content. Since some search engines are getting away from using tags, make sure you have plenty of good content. You have some good content now, but more is better, if it's related to your site.

Your site may already be showing up in searches, but if it turns up on page 35 of the search, that doesn't do you much good. So try to get your site linked to from other sites. Search engines will follow links on web sites, when they index them. The more sites that link to you, the more often a search engine is going to run into you, and the higher your ranking is going to be.

Some users thing that search engines actually search the internet. They don't. They search their data bases. Until your site has been scanned and indexed, you will not turn up in searches. To speed things up, submit your site to the various search engines. Most search engines have some sort of free site submission. This will put you on a list to be indexed. Until it has been run over with a web bot, and indexed, you would see your site in searches.

Even then, it will take a while to work it's way to page 1. Search engine ranking is a very slow process. All web sites will eventually be found. If you do nothing, it may take months before you start showing up in searches. But even with keywords, submissions, and links, it could still take several weeks. You can't push the search engines to work according to your schedule.

Thanks for help...and actually when my URL is typed into a search engine right now, it's still not showing any results.

I will try your advice...thanks for giving me some of your time.

It just takes time. As I said, a search engine does not search the internet. It searches it's data bases. Until the search engine's web bots find your site and index it, you will not show up in a search. I believe if you go to Google.com, or any other search engine, you can get lots of good hints on how to speed up the process.