This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
webpage blank on top and then starts half way down the page

When viewing one of the pages on my website, you don't see anything on one of the pages unless you scroll down quite a bit. Then the bravehost ads appear and then my page appears. When I edit it, it shows nothing is there in the top area that shouldn't be. According to the editor, my page should start immediately. Why is there so much blank space? If you go to my site to see for yourself, click on 'crafts' to see what I mean.

Re: webpage blank on top and then starts half way down the page

When viewing your site, I saw none of the problems you described...

There was no space.... I use IE, on a 1280x1024 monitor..also viewed using Firefox, no problems that I could see...viewed fine..

Try 'refresh'...

In addition to SlackerBabe's checks, I also tried Netscape and switched to 800x600, no problems

Lori,

Next time, tell us the specific page, so we don't have to waste our time trying to figure out what your talking about.

You have attempted to add a background to your "Seed Exchange" page by inserting a tag in your main content area.

Because you are using a free web site, the extra tag is causing an extra ad banner to be inserted in your content area, and is pushing the rest of your content down the page. Either remove the extra and tag or change it to a style setting, like the following:

However, that style setting links to your background that is on the GRSites.com web site. Hot linking is not a good idea. You are using their bandwidth, to display your background, and they could change the image location or disable linking at any time. You are better off copying the image to your own web site and then adjust the style reference accordingly.

Thank you all for your help. I did say in my original post to look at the page entitled 'crafts'(craft patterns), that's where the problem is, the other pages are working fine. There are no extra backgrounds or anything that I've added to the crafts page, so I'm wondering why it starts so far down the page.

I'm very new to website design, and really couldn't understand much of the advice you were giving me. I'm still trying to learn how to use all the tools at Bravehost too. I don't mean to steal anything from other ppls websites, I'm just trying to make my site look nice. Any tips (that I can understand) to help me not offend anyone will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Lori

Hey Martin, I figured out what you were talking about regarding my seed exchange page..thanks. I deleted it anyway, since I had no time to collect seeds to trade this year. But my craft patterns page is the problem anyway.
Lori