This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Connecting sites and frontpage

hello iv just registered for your free web-hosting and would like to ask 2 questions 1.can i use frontpage as my webdesigner and ftp uploader 2. I have a site up and running at the moment but I dont Have much space left on it (free site from my internet provider www.karoo.co.uk my site www.thundersquall.karoo.co.uk)and i was wondering if I could link both my sites together unless of course it is against the rules so is it o.k if I make a sister site! thank you and hope to hear from you very soon^-^
From thundersquall

Re: Connecting sites and frontpage

I suspect your other site isn't where you said, but at:
http://www.thundersquall.karoo.net

As far as I know, there is no problem with sister sites. However, there are usually two reasons for people running out of webspace:

a) They are old experienced webmasters who have been creating webpages practically forever.
b) They are new, unexperience webmasters who do not understand the importance of file size.

It is not just a matter of webspace. The files have to be downloaded by users as well. If you have a fast connection, you may not notice, but your files are way too big. Even if you don't have a fast connection, since you probably return often, you may not notice, as anything but latest update is loaded directly from your temporary internet files.

239 kilobytes is too much for a banner. In fact, 23 kilobytes is pushing it. Try to keep track of how much you add to your page (Opera is a wonderful browser for that, you can always see total filesize with one click). If you have more than 75 kilobytes, delete something. Your homepage.html is close to ten times that.

When you have finished optimizing your pages, there may not be any need for more space, or two sites.

You say you are running out of room on the other site. Are you are expecting to use Bravenet as a storage area for images and things, and then link to them from the other site? This kind of thing is called hotlinking and is not allowed on Bravenet free sites.

Or, are you going to upload new pages as a sort of an ammendment to your initial site? Some pages here and others there. As long as you don't try to cross link images from one to the other, that kind of thing would be fine. In fact, you can register for more than one free site. There isn't any real limit.

Note that Bravenet free sites do not support FrontPage extensions. That is with pro hosting only.

S
orry Martin I didn't really understand ur answer to the 2nd prob (only been web designining 2 days and night's) what I meen is My free karoo account only has 25mb and what I would like to do is to finish of my Final Fantasy info section and online game section and evangelion links section using pages created on my bravenet domain if possible if it is possible ty for telling me bout frontpage extensions my over karoopage would'nt support it ever I had to create all the buttons and so on by downloading them and adding them to my page and hyperlinking them to another page it worked what i'd like to know though what is the ftp server name for my my domain name e.g: my karoo site is ftp://homepages.karoo.net Can u help me further? and ty^-^

Re: Re: Connecting sites and frontpage

Hitting 25 meg takes some doing. It took me about 5 years for my photo gallery site to hit 20. I then moved some complete directories to a new archive site at Bravenet, the links from my home page go direct to pages within the Bravehost site (see link "Leigh on Sea Festival")

After a lot of work to do that I uploaded something else to the main page and found my web space had been automatically increased to 50meg!

Have a look at my site to see how the hosting load is balanced across several locations. Do review the size of your files and make sure that there are no unused media files in your web space, you may be able to claw back a fair bit of space

So in other words you can spread a website over many pages ty its just this that got me worried it may have nothing to do with spreading pages over other domain names from other sites but to be honest i would rather be safer than sorry

you may not under terms first link section 8.)

(g) Create and maintain a Bravenet web page that (i) redirects to another web page or (ii) stores or hosts content for remote loading by other web pages

so i'm kind of really confused

One of the guidelines that many people use is to limit each web page to a total of no more than 75 KB -- this would be for the HTML file itself, plus all images, etc., used on the page.

So if you have 25 MB to work with, and you designed a bunch of really busy web pages, each of which took just about the full 75 KB, you would be limited, in that 25 MB of space to ... just about 333 pages.

If you took a little more care and limited each page to, say, 40 KB, you could have over 600 pages.

I know some people will object to the implication that 75 KB, or any other number, is some sort of absolute limit on the size of a web page. There is no such limit, of course, but as I said it can be used as a guideline. If you only plan to have, say, 100 to 120 pages on the site, the 25 MB limit should not be a problem at all.