This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Need help adding image to site

Yet another problem hopefully this time I can get an answer. Well i tried to add an image that I had in my photobuckt account but for some reason it wouldnt work is there some script i need to use to add images or something or do I have to do it using some sort of bravenet thing???

Re: Need help adding image to site

The first time I connected to your site, the image didn't show up. However, the second time it did. this suggests a timeout problem with photobucket. The image I see is pretty small. As long as the size isn't over 1MB, upload it to your web site and avoid any timeout problems.

You also have a search script of some sort on your site. The way it is, it will never work, because you are using the Website Wizard. Go to the original code and remove all of the HTML and Javascript comments. Then try re-inserting it into your content area.

To what you just said If i did that could i add a template to my website instead of using the wizard's ones?

If so could you tell me what scripts I would have to take out/replace.

First note that using templates and using the Website Wizard are exclusive operation. You can do one, or the other, but not both.

The Website Wizard is a self contained web site design package. It is limited to the themes and layouts within the Wizard. It is intended for the designers who don't know, or don't want to know, anything about HTML and CSS. That perfectly fine. Everyone should have the ability to create a web site. But it forces you to put up with the limitations of the design tool. The more you learn about designing web pages the more you resent the limitations. To learn more about what you can, and can't, do with the Website Wizard, try this link to my Website Wizards help page.

A template is nothing more than a simple structure to start your design with. There is nothing magic about it. It is only a starting point. You can make it anything you want to. It gives you much more freedom, but also creates more work. My web site was started with a very simple template. The menus, content, navigation, extra pages, scripting, etc. were all added by me and my trusty text editor.

Bravenet provides a big library of templates, and a Visual and Text editor, available in the File Manager. However, they do not provide a graphic editor. If your template has graphics, like logos and button images, your on your own. These are not difficult to deal with, but they do require you to have your own graphic software.

A better way to create your web site is to obtain a web page design program and a graphics editor, and create it on your local PC. Most design packages have a upload capability that will copy your completed pages and support files to your web site. It takes a little looking around, but you can get some good low cost design packages from places like "coffeecup.com". Free packages are available from "nvu.com" or "netscape.com". A good free graphic editor can be had at "irfanview.com". This will allow you to add annotation to your button images.

Just decide on a path and go for it. If you get along the path and decide your were wrong, go a different way. That's the fun behind all this. People make too much of it and it's really no big deal. All this stuff is just a bunch of zeros and ones in cyberspace. Just change their order until you get something you like. When your all done, you might find out you actually learned something.