This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
How is it possible that I've use 102% of my monthly bandwidth usage?

I didn't think that was possible. Do I have to pay extra for that? Do I ever have a limit to how much bandwidth I can use? Will that affect my bandwidth usage in the future?

Re: How is it possible that I've use 102% of my monthly bandwidth usage?

I don't know about that. Probably they don't close you down in the middle of a file download, but wait til the file is downloaded. The file sizes you are using makes part of a file at 2% not at all impossible.

But never mind that. What is more important is that there is probably no sane reason that bandwidth should be a problem for you at all. I think you should reconfigure your windows explorer. If you use XP, you can select the details that can be shown in the explorer window. My guess is that you have deselected file size, is that right?

Anyway, your site has been constructed with absolutely no thoughts of file sizes at all. You use .bmp images which are several times the size of visually identical .gif and .jpg images, and you "resize" them by simply changing width and height attributes. I don't think I've seen a page reaching 6 megabytes without adding .mp3 or some such silliness before.

The worst was your background. You use a 1024 x 1690 pixels .bmp file that is 5 megabytes. Below I'm showing a copy in .gif format that is about 10 kilobytes. (separate message, otherwise it will make a mess of the layout here) As far as I can tell they are otherwise identical. The other 5181863 bytes are just wasted bandwidth. If, that is, the visitor is using a browser that will display .bmp files. For reasons the above should make obvious, not all of them do.

Aim not to put more than 75 kilobytes on a single page. There is nothing about your Welcome page that makes this obviously impossible. I think you will find that this would allow far more visits within your bandwidth limits.

Gif background:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Re: How is it possible that I've use 102% of my monthly bandwidth usage?

Wow. Thanks... I know a few things about html/computers, but I'm still just learning things, and compared to your logic, I know nothing. So I'm trying my best to carefully dissect all that you've said, but I'm guessing the first thing I should do is convert the .bmp files to .gif, yes?

Re: Re: How is it possible that I've use 102% of my monthly bandwidth usage?

YES - you should only use gif and/or jpeg format images on the web.

Re: Re: How is it possible that I've use 102% of my monthly bandwidth usage?

Yes, yes, yes.
Some pictures may be better as .jpg, but nothing is worse than .bmp.

Generally, photos turn out better as .jpg, cartoons or simple drawings are better as .gif. But experiment.

Get a good graphics program. I use PaintProShop 6, and I'm very happy with it. The functions I need are all there, and they don't drown in lots of stuff I'm never going to learn (which is why I don't use photoshop).

Two things you should know about .jpg and .gif:

When you save an image as .jpg, your graphics program should let you select a degree of compression. Usually you can get away with about 50%, but it depends on the motiv. Close up portraits are the hardest, so reduce compression. Landscapes are much easier.

With .gif images you should try to reduce the number of colors as much as possible. Start by going down to 256, if no effect, continue to 16. That background only needs 5.

A possibly useful way of explaining the difference between .bmp and .gif is this:
Your background has 1024x1690 pixels. A .bmp file says something like:
Top row, first pixel: White.
Top row, second pixel: White
and so on, 1730560 times.

While a .gif file may be saying something like "the first 260000 pixels are white, then....."

Quite possibly some graphics expert will be along to explain that this is all wrong and "what actually happens is...." But it is a way of understanding why some files are so much bigger than others.

If you are paying for 100 GB today, your budget may allow for Adobe Photoshop, which is at the top end of a selection of programs. Irfanview (from irfanview.com is a free download which will do most of what you need.

Or you may have half a dozen programs that came with your scanner, camera or whatever that can do the job.

OH! And resize. Always resize if you want an image to appear smaller on your site than it is.