This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Aggressive pop up on website

I realize I still have free hosting--haven't upgraded yet--HOWEVER there have never been popups on my website through Bravenet. They were always banners. Now there is one popup showing up on my site for "PARTNER LINKS" that has links to clickbank.net and dating-advanced.com, among others. Not really a popup--THEY SHOW UP ON THE PAGE COVERING TEXT AND CONTENT IN LOWER LEFT CORNER AND IT MOVES WITH THE SCROLL BAR!! What the H-- is this???

Re: Aggressive pop up on website

I looked at your site with Netscape 7.2 and Internet Explorer 6.0.29..., but I don't see any popups, just the banners at the top. My popup blockers let me know if there is anything being blocked, but there was no indication. You may want to run a spyware check on your PC and clean out your cookies. I really don't think it's Bravenet causing the problem, but maybe a few others can take a look at your site and report on any problems.

I saw no pop ups either. You have a problem with cookies it looks like.

You can go to the cookie manager in the internet set up of your browswer. Delete all cookies because that is how sneaky stuff like this happens.

Or yuo can get a free or pay for a pop-up stopper. I use a free edition my self. Maybe your ISP can give you a hint as to what pop up stopper to use.

You can be one to for $9.00 USA or less. They are quite effective and you do not have to go to your cookie manager all the time.

You can also disable the pop up stopper and re-inable it any time.
Like your website. It is simple, to the point and it
downloads fast.

Re: Re: Aggressive pop up on website

You would have to be viewing the site when that particular ad was due to come up--I don't know what other ads are in rotation with it but I had to hit refresh to get rid of it, then when the other ads cycled through, it came up again. It can't be my cookies--I can think of no instance where the cookies in my computer produce ads randomly on pages. This ad is coming up on my site when it is its turn in the cycle. I clean out cookies and temp files twice a week. The ad coming up on my site is a dark green box and it's quite obnoxious.

Re: Re: Re: Aggressive pop up on website

I guess no one knows then?

I suspect that you have a spyware problem. these files embed themselves in areas such as system registry and can be quite hard to remove. An excellent (and free) spyware removal program, called ad-aware, is available from lavasoft.com, and microsoft also has a beta version which is also free

After refreshing your page several times I see the window you are refering to. I have adware and spyware blaster and I still got this after several attempts. When this came onto your site spyware blaster flagged it as a restricted cookie.
I was able to find the location of the ad it is here:
http://www.woosah.net/myred/whois.php

It looks like your source code is somehow referencing their .js file. which is here.
http://www.everstats.com/hover/main.js
How..I do not know

This is quite strange. The window of the ad is opening in a java cover window that cannot be blocked by pop up blockers.

Re: Re: Aggressive pop up on website

Yes I use adaware too and there is a spyware program in my yahoo toolbar. Not sure how to handle it now. I will send a copy of your response to Bravenet and perhaps they can help me remove the code that is referencing their file. Thank you very much.

I had a problem with popups that came up every few seconds and froze my pc. Earlier this week, I had to go through my add & remove program AND my program files (the uninstaller may be located there) to get rid of them individually...took me two days to clean up my pc.

Sometimes they are embedded and you have to go through the site they originate from to download the uninstaller to get them off. Hope you can get rid of them.