General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Sundays Birmingham gig

First post to the board so hi to all.
A short while back I was looking at FM on Last.fm and followed the links etc. only to discover they were making a brand new album and arranging a few gigs.

I am now in my 40s and have always loved FM and seen them a couple of times,once at the Alexander Theatre in Brum and once at the old Carling Academy(Digbeth)on the Tough It Out tour.I purchased our Birmingham O2 tickets on day of sale and also ordered the new album.

First what a great album playing it non stop car,I Pod,computer etc.This is in my humble opinion the best album the guys have done.
Anyway onto the show.Took my wife with me who was also looking forward to seeing Romeos Daughter.Great to see them playing again.Remember seeing them at Edwards No8 in Birmingham and I think support for FM at Alexander gig,and they still sound great.Wife also said hello to Leigh Matty who was stood behind us.
Then FM wow what a gig.We were down at front by the side.The guys sounded great,note perfect.Steve's voice is awesome.They looked like they were really enjoying themselves,and the crowd responded by singing along with every song.I've never sang along so much at a gig in all my life.Great to see some younger faces in the crowd enjoying the music too.
My wife only new a few songs off Tough It Out and Metropolis,but tonight I played her the Indiscreet album and she is hooked on FM.

I felt like I was 21 again and have had a big smile on my face all week.
So thanks guys for a great night out and hope to see you again soon.

Re: Sundays Birmingham gig

I agree Sundays gig in Birmingham was Brilliant-I also saw them many years ago at the Irish Centre and alexandra theatre.

Sundays gig did seem very loud or am I getting too old!!!! getting too close to 50 now!!!

Glad to see Fm chose a Birmingham venue - most bands seem to go to Wolverhampton only.

Hi Andy was it the Irish Centre?It may well of being,it was a few years ago who was support?I have some memories of seeing Bonfire there too.The Alexander Theatre was a strange venue for a rock gig I remember.
I don't know about it being loud as I said we stood at side so perhaps didn't get full sound.Your never to old to have your ears blasted out.I went to a AC/DC tribute(Livewire) the other week and boy were they loud.Mind you was stood plum centre of stage.
I agree about bands playing in Wolverhampton etc.Now with the new O2 perhaps I will not have to travel so far to see some great bands.Just ordered tickets to see Y&T at O2.First time there Sunday and thought it was a good venue.
Currently there seems to be a resurgance of some of the great classic rock bands touring and releasing new material.Long may it continue because as long as they do I will be in attendance. [8-)]

Hi Ian,Sorry I cant remember who supported fm at the Irish centre,with regard to the Alexandra theatre ive only seen two gigs there-FM and steve Hacket!!

I recall the good old days at the Birmingham Odeon where countless bands played in the 70,s and 80,s-I remember going to 4 gigs in 1 week and tickets ranged from £3!!! aaahh those were the days.

Lets hope FM come back to Brum soon

I attended my very first gig (Triumph) at the Birmingham Odeon,probably about '79-'80.My older brother took me and I was blown away .After that I was hooked on live music and as you said got to see some great bands for £3 and £4 (Def Lep,Saxon,Metallica,Thin Lizzy,Bon jovi,Scorps the list goes on).Lucky if you get a pint for that at some venues now.[:))]

From memory pretty sure it was Saraya who supported FM at the irish centre.

Saraya have reformed to play this year's firefest, they play on the saturday with Beggars & Thieves, Bonfire and Dare amongst others, with Stage Dolls, Strangeways, Jimi Jamison and Nelson playing the sunday all set to be another cracking weekend in Nottingham. [:)s]