General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
Sheffield - reviews please. (and an OT thing too)

Share your review of the thursday gig in Sheffield
with all of us MOFs not able to attend.
Was it great or was it awesome?

And the OT thing: I found a canadian duo/band
when browsing for FM Metropolis clips on YouTube:
Stan Meissner and Peter Fredette, called 'Metropolis'.
Their album 'Power Of The Night' is worth a listen
I think [IMHO]. {Note to Craig: They're Canadian!}
Have a listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4swDya7VXI4

I hope to see a lot of you, in Wigan and in London,
in early July. Surprises are being planned as I type.
More on that after airline tickets and accomodations
have been sorted. [o:)]

/Bo Braendstrup

Re: Sheffield - reviews please. (and an OT thing too)

hi guys well its the morning after and my ears still ringing...
another awesome sounding night with FM. Starting the night off with Wildside then launching into gems from Indescreet and Tough it out through to All or nothing and Blood and Gasoline from later albums. Hollow and Flamingo road were delivered perfectly. Grapevine, only the strong and Bad luck were thrown in aswell as Closer to heaven before the crowd favourite Frozen heart was played to a zelous crowd....
there were a few teeting problems...the mic stand too low for the voice right at the start and remarkably steve forgot the words a couple of times...and as steve was about to speak the band launched into American girls which threw steve, but as we would expect he soon got to grips!...all in all the band sound brilliant, jems keyboard was brilliant, the percussion pair were spot on, Jims guitar was awesome, the best guitarist FM have had (imho) and steves voice as always was mesmerising
once the teething problems are sorted one thing is sure, the rest of you are in for a hell of a treat!!!!

just a quick footnote....i had never heard of Airrace prior to the gig and certainly had never heard any songs but they were brilliant, a faultless show of Melodic rock...ill be certainly looking for some of their stuff now.!!!!!

Brilliant night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Airrace and FM genuinely enjoy the live aspect of being in a band.A packed crowd in a smallish venue gave both bands great applause even though several people around me had never seen/heard Airrace.We got the usual FM mix of old and new(I like Over You)and the time flew by.Will be at Islington(to see RD)at the end.On the merchandising front I think the T-shirts are a million per cent better than the Metropolis launch party ones.

Local band Si-Fi played a short but confident opening set,(watch out Rush!) followed by a storming set from Airrace. I'll be catching them again. They performed a powerful set with a classic AOR compositions & they were well received & seemed to be having a ball on stage.
Then the mighty FM hit the stage.
Set list:
Wildside, Face, That Girl, Don't Stop, Blood & Gas,Only the Strong, Hollow, Metropolis, Over You,Flamingo Road, All or Nothing, Closer, Burnin' My Heart Down, Grapevine: Frozen, American Girls, Bad Luck.
Agreed there were a few first night glitches but given the confines of the stage, a dull(ish)PA and Steve's rather brash sounding Peavy amp (must be the right time to find an old JC120 on ebay?),the guy's played yet another great show, to a really enthusiastic Sheffield crowd.(Pretty much sold out).
Jim played a blinder, just gets better & better, Jem too, with far less keyboards than normal but with the addition of a rather powerful laptop by his side. As is the norm, Pete & Merv were as tight as a .....& the voice was as brill as ever despite having to concentrate & overcome those little glitches whilst hitting all those sublime notes. True Pro's.
For me, the best performed song on the night, was Metropolis / Over You.
Interesting to see a fair few younger fans in the audience, & nice touch that Mr Church was sending out bottles of water to the fans at the front on what was a really hot night. Top man!
Surprise of the night, after the show, out stumbled Mr Didge Digital!! Totally un-announced, I think it certainly took the guy's by surprise. I managed a very entertaining chat with him. Good to see he’s still out there & to hear that he still loves his music.
Special thanks form Beck & I to Lidia, hope that you have a better trip home.
Getting ready do it all again in Birmingham on Sunday!
Just Brilliant!

Sounds like it was a good night but a little concerned that Dangerous wasnt on the set list as its the ultimate "live" tune!

Had sort of expected it to be dropped and replaced by "who'll stop the rain" which is similiar in style and just as good but sad to see neither played [:-|][:-|]
On the upside, flew up to Glasgow yesterday and looking forward to tonite [:)s][:)s]

Hi

I was at Sheffield last night.

Firstly Airrace. I watched this band thinking, "these guys are good, who are they?" Then I started to recognise their songs and the light bulb went off. They were great.

Secondly FM. OK, so I've followed Mr Overland since I saw him in 'Wildlife' - many moons ago.

Previous reviews are spot on, they were some first night niggles, but I have to say it seemed like every song lasted 10 seconds, and their set was 5 minutes long - it went that quick! I really enjoyed their set, I was great to see the guys again, and even my 18 year old Muse-loving son thought they were really good.

What a great night.

First, thanks to Darren for getting me there (and back again), and a big thanks for finding me at his home railway station when I picked the wrong exit!!!!!

Found some free (and safe) parking I know about, and made it there just before doors. Picked the right queue!!!

Psi Phi were enjoyable, a pleasant 25 minutes or so of guitar based rock.

I have waited 26 years to see Airrace, and I wasn't disappointed one bit. Have to agree with Darren's comment that they should re-record the first album with the new line up. Great songs, and all the cheesiness expunged.

FM. Slight signs of first night nerves (you'd have thought that Stiv would remember the words to American Girls!!), but an excellent and well balanced set. Four songs from the new album was probably just about right, and played my three faves, so no complaints there. What a fab encore, sent me out with a smile on my face.

Meet'n'Greet was fun, and apologies to everyone behind me for bringing things to a halt by producing a piccie from Merv's dim and distant past to delight and embarass him!!!!!! 1964 and all that.... Nice to bump into Didge too, good chat with him on the way out.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, let's do it again sometime, but the West of The Pennines!!

Philip

The best just got better!

What a night! The guys delivered on every level!

Pretty hard to follow the previous reviews other than to say I'll be spreading the word and converting all who I find to the ways of FM! Got one convert joining us already in London!

Huge thanks to Lidia and Ralf for making it a 40th for me to remember and letting us see the hard work behind the scenes - it's an amazing team of dedicated and genuinely star folk behind and up on the stage!

Cheers Merv for taking time out to talk bass guitars and 5 string conversions before the gig! You're an inspiration, but I still need to get that extra fifth string on mine! If you ever want to sell one.... [:))]

[8-)]

What a great nite, started from the 1st band that went on. They reminded me a bit like rush. Keep it going lads and you should get a great following if you already don’t have one.

Airrace - tell you the truth i heard there album and thought how cheesy they are. Then when i heard the first song.....wow no cheese, just pure rock lol. Get the album redone as how you played and ill defo be one of your fans.

Then the main attraction

FM - what can i say other than what has already been said before. Am i so glad you guys are back again. I was so looking forward to seeing you i sold my peter kay ticket. All i can say it was the best decision ive ever made.

I’m even thinking of going Sunday to Birmingham, looks like the wife (boss) is gonna let me [:)s][:)s]

Well I'm slowly getting the use of my limbs back after a very manic time in Sheffield! I want to say the biggest of thanks to the lads in FM and Smudge Steve, Jo Mark P and Ali for being so lovely and always looking after me. Warren I missed you mate. Tom you are a star as always and I love every minute I spend with you. Anthony W, what a fun late night/early morning converting Rupert to the cause and even chatting with Paloma Faith! Rich, Becky, Ralf, Ian, Paul H, always great spending time with you. Rich we finally managed to get a bit of our long overdue chat!!! Hope it didn't traumatise you too much. To all our forumites who couldn't be there, T&P, Dodders, Craig, Dave T, Rachel and Gav, Ant, Claire, you were missed, sent you all good vibes. All in all a fantastic night and to cap it all Didge was there!!! Say no more!

Lidia
To all our forumites who couldn't be there, T&P, Dodders, Craig, Dave T, Rachel and Gav, Ant, Claire, you were missed, sent you all good vibes.

Hey thanks Lidia . I certainly felt very strong FM vibes (couldnt get Hollow, Frozen heart and Days Gone By out of my head!!)and now I know they were sent from you :) Hope you had fun in No-Mans-Land last night with my fellow yam yams- 2 of my old school friends were there! (they spotted the pic of me and Juppy on Facebook and the rest followed!!) . See you in July [:)][:)]

1 2