Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Upcoming guest programmers on rage

This thread will be dedicated to upcoming guest programmers on rage and discussion about them. As soon as they are known they will be posted here. Unfortunately rage does not post upcoming guest programmers like they used to do in the extras section of their website.

Saturday 8th July - The Go-Betweens
Saturday 15th July - Meg Mac

Re: Upcoming guest programmers on rage

Jason D.
Unfortunately rage does not post upcoming guest programmers like they used to do in the extras section of their website.

Another ball they've dropped.

Thankfully "The Go-Betweens" is just the 2 female members, instead of the (still living) male singer, who was on just a year or so ago, mainly to flog his book. I hope they dig out Cleopatra Wong videos (the side project the 2 women did) afterwards, but aren't holding my breath.

I look ahead on the electronic TV guide, which only goes a week ahead for me, to see who is programming/what special is on the following weekend. The Go-Betweens were originally scheduled for the weekend just gone. Where did you get Meg Mac (who I've never heard of) from?

Meg Mac is yet another indie artist. I found out that she's guest programming on the ebroadcast online TV guide. It goes ahead about 2 weeks.

Jason D.
Meg Mac is yet another indie artist.

Of course

I looked her up on wikipedia after reading your post and saw that.

Still, I don't care so much who programs if they pick interesting selections. Sometimes an indie artist can do this, and at other times, programmers I'm looking forward to pick boring videos.

I do wish they've have more variety in their programmers though.

Well, Cleopatra Wong's 'Thank You' is getting an airing at least... but they've stopped Saturday morning's playlist at 9am currently, for some reason.

And that they did. Anyone see anything of interest up until the end of the show?

Michael
And that they did. Anyone see anything of interest up until the end of the show?

Not really. Cleopatra Wong's 'Thank You' was the most interesting thing for me. Their Saturday morning guest programming segment is repeated Thursday night on ABC ME.

What I don't get about artists such as these programming, is often how many 'new'-ish artists/songs they pick, as if to prove they're somehow 'cool' and still with it... I have a hard time believing that these two listen to the likes of Beyonce and Lorde.

ohnoitisnathan

What I don't get about artists such as these programming, is often how many 'new'-ish artists/songs they pick, as if to prove they're somehow 'cool' and still with it... I have a hard time believing that these two listen to the likes of Beyonce and Lorde.

I've noticed many guest programmers picking songs that they think will make them seem cool instead of picking something they genuinely like. They sometimes treat it as an exercise in gaining more credibility.

Jason D.
They sometimes treat it as an exercise in gaining more credibility.

Well put.

Coming up...

Saturday 22nd July - Kirin J. Callinan

Jason D.
Coming up...

Saturday 22nd July - Kirin J. Callinan

Wow, this person doesn't even have a wikipedia page, that's how prominent they are.

It appears they are an actor in Bandcamp.

ohnoitisnathan

Wow, this person doesn't even have a wikipedia page, that's how prominent they are.

It appears they are an actor in Bandcamp.

It seems as though someone at rage is a fan as Kirin J. Callinan's track Landslide is on the 3rd disc of the rage 30th Anniversary CD.

Coming up...

Saturday 29th July - Splendour In The Grass 2017 special

This is the lineup for Splendour In The Grass so the special will likely feature any of these following bands/artists...

THE XX•QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE•LCD SOUNDSYSTEM•ROYAL BLOOD•HAIM•SIGUR RÓS•SCHOOLBOY Q (ONLY AUS SHOW)•VANCE JOY•TWO DOOR CINEMA CLUB•PEKING DUK•RL GRIME•BONOBO•FATHER JOHN MISTY•TASH SULTANA•CATFISH AND THE BOTTLEMEN•PAUL KELLY
•STORMZY•KING GIZZARD AND THE LIZARD WIZARD•FUTURE ISLANDS (ONLY AUS SHOW)•BANKS
•BERNARD FANNING•DUNE RATS•CUT COPY•ÁSGEIR•ALLDAY•MEG MAC•RAG'N'BONE MAN•THUNDAMENTALS•LIL YACHTY•SAN CISCO•CLIENT LIAISON•REAL ESTATE•DAN SULTAN•
VALLIS ALPS•D.D DUMBO•MAGGIE ROGERS•TOVE LO•POND•THE SMITH STREET BAND•BIG SCARY
•OH WONDER•A.B. ORIGINAL•DOPE LEMON•THE KITE STRING TANGLE•YOUNG FRANCO•JULIA JACKLIN•KINGSWOOD•AMY SHARK•LUCA BRASI•THE LEMON TWIGS•VERA BLUE•SLUMBERJACK•
BAD//DREEMS•BAG RAIDERS•TOPAZ JONES•MIDDLE KIDS•OCEAN GROVE•CONFIDENCE MAN•BISHOP BRIGGS•LATE NITE TUFF GUY•JULIEN BAKER•KILTER•LANY•HOCKEY DAD•KIRIN J CALLINAN•AIRLING•COSMO'S MIDNIGHT•GRETTA RAY•MOONBASE•THE PEEP TEMPEL•TORNADO WALLACE•THE MURLOCS•MALLRAT•LUKE MILLION•THE WILSON PICKERS•ROMARE•JARROW•GOOD BOY•KUREN•ONEMAN•WINSTON SURFSHIRT•SET MO•HWLS•HARVEY SUTHERLAND AND BERMUDA•
CC:DISCO!•ENSCHWAY•DJHMC•NITE FLEIT•ALICE IVY•WILLOW BEATS•WILLARIS. K•MOOKHI
•SWINDAIL•DENA AMY•ANDY GARVEY•PLANÈTE•SAM WESTON•SUPER CRUEL•CHRISTOPHER PORT
•LEWIS CANCUT•KINDER

Coming up...

Saturday 5th August - Warren Fu

Jason D.
Coming up...

Saturday 5th August - Warren Fu

Another one I've never heard of...

Wikipedia says he's a music video director, though the list of videos he's directed are all from the last 10 years. I hope the playlist is not just full of videos he has directed.

Coming up...

Saturday 12th August - Hanson

Jason D.
Coming up...

Saturday 12th August - Hanson

For real? Oh my god

I had to look twice to make sure I was right. It should be interesting though as they might choose a more pop oriented playlist rather than a predominantly indie playlist.

Jason D.
I had to look twice to make sure I was right. It should be interesting though as they might choose a more pop oriented playlist rather than a predominantly indie playlist.

Yes, I was thinking that too. Generally I'm not too fussed on who programs if they pick a good playlist.

Jason D.

Nah, they'll pick a playlist to show the world how sophisticated and edgy they are...

Clip Magnet

Nah, they'll pick a playlist to show the world how sophisticated and edgy they are...

You're probably right. And how they're still down with today's 'music'.

Coming up...

Saturday 19th August - Corey Taylor

???? Wish it was Corey Hart 😂

Michael
???? Wish it was Corey Hart 😂

Now that would be much more interesting.

This Corey guy's in some metal band; I looked him up on wikipedia. Expect another crap playlist.

P.S. It's so funny you can say crap here, but not d@amn.

Here's a preview of the Hanson playlist from the blurb on the rage website:

Aerosmith - Falling In Love Is Hard On Your Knees
Taylor Swift - We Are Never Getting Back Together
Foo Fighters - Learn To Fly
Ace Of Base - The Sign
Albert Hammond - Losing Touch
Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten
Beach House - Reflector

Hmmm... what do we think?

'Learn To Fly' gets chosen all the time, and 'The Sign' has had a few airings.

ohnoitisnathan
Here's a preview of the Hanson playlist from the blurb on the rage website:

Aerosmith - Falling In Love Is Hard On Your Knees
Taylor Swift - We Are Never Getting Back Together
Foo Fighters - Learn To Fly
Ace Of Base - The Sign
Albert Hammond - Losing Touch
Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten
Beach House - Reflector

Hmmm... what do we think?

'Learn To Fly' gets chosen all the time, and 'The Sign' has had a few airings.

It looks somewhat interesting. As we learned from the 90s special, the preview blurb is probably not the best thing to go by. The rest of the playlist could be really interesting or really bad.

Jason D.
It looks somewhat interesting. As we learned from the 90s special, the preview blurb is probably not the best thing to go by. The rest of the playlist could be really interesting or really bad.

Ain't that the truth!

No doubt Katy Perry's video 'Last Friday Night' will be shown as it has a cameo by Hanson performing at Kathy Beth Terry's street backyard party.😃

Now here's something really weird about Hanson's playlist... it looks like they only got as far as "D" in the rage red book

The picked 47 videos. 2 of them are pre-"A" (bands with numbers/symbols), 28 of them begin with "A", 9 begin with "B", and 3 begin with "D". Then they thought the better hurry up and picked 1 "E", 2 "F"s, 1 "N" and 1 "T".

That is so bizarre. rage should tell us the back-story

Clip Magnet
Now here's something really weird about Hanson's playlist... it looks like they only got as far as "D" in the rage red book

The picked 47 videos. 2 of them are pre-"A" (bands with numbers/symbols), 28 of them begin with "A", 9 begin with "B", and 3 begin with "D". Then they thought the better hurry up and picked 1 "E", 2 "F"s, 1 "N" and 1 "T".

That is so bizarre. rage should tell us the back-story

Well-spotted!

While I didn't notice this, I did think something looked a little odd about the layout of the playlist.

Haha, it's a big book.

It seems that rage are no longer providing the info on upcoming guest programmers in advance to local guides. If they do so again I will post the info on upcoming guest programmers here.

Jason D.
It seems that rage are no longer providing the info on upcoming guest programmers in advance to local guides. If they do so again I will post the info on upcoming guest programmers here.

I noticed the other night that no guest programmer or special is specified for this coming weekend yet, though haven't checked again today.

Coming up...

August 26th - Steve Lucas

Who is Steve Lucas?

Steve Lucas seems to be from a 70s Australian punk rock band called X. I am not familiar with him or his work either.

Coming up...

Saturday 2nd September - Gang Of Youths

Jason D.
Coming up...

So wished it was GANGgjang ;)

RJ TAYLER
Jason D.
Coming up...

So wished it was GANGgjang ;)

They programmed a couple of years ago if I remember correctly. I definitely remember a section of their videos appearing on a Saturday night, anyway.

ohnoitisnathan
(GANGgajang) programmed a couple of years ago if I remember correctly. I definitely remember a section of their videos appearing on a Saturday night, anyway.

Yes GangGajang guest programmed on 7 May 2016. Rage would not bring back a guest programmer so soon. Usually it's about 20 years between GP gigs.

Coming up...

Saturday 9th September - Spoon

Coming up...

Saturday 16th September - The Preatures

It'd be nice if they had someone I actually knew.

Coming up...

Saturday 23rd September - Mogwai

ohnoitisnathan
It'd be nice if they had someone I actually knew.

Dead right there mate!! :)

Coming up...

Saturday 30th September - Died Pretty

Finally an artist i have actually heard a song from prior to their stint on the (in) Famous Red Couch!

Jason D.
Saturday 30th September - Died Pretty

I was so pleased that Died Pretty finally guest programmed (although Ron Peno is a bit of a rambler and a lot of his music selections were not to my taste) but there were 3 videos from DP I had never seen before - Towers Of Strength, Out Of My Hands and a second version of Headaround (the '1 take' version) which I had never seen. The version I have seen is this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztBuRjOJNmU

It's funny how after a long period of DC being about the only Died Pretty song getting an airing on rage, in recent months Winterland, Sweetheart and True Fools Fall have all been shown 2 to 3 times.

Coming up...

Saturday 7th October - The Jungle Giants

Coming up...

Saturday 14th October - Future Islands

1 2