Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ROCK ARENA - AUGUST 1ST, 1987

So whilst I was watching live to air 'rage goes retro', the 2nd Rock Arena for the night which was dated 1st August, 1987 is this in the archives as I listed on Friday:

August 1 1987
1:58 OPENING TITLES;
2:18 FF#1 VS JENNIFER WARNES 'FIRST WE TAKE MANHATTEN' CLIP;
5:48 MCU HOST;
6:39 FF#2 VS LIME SPIDERS 'WEIRDO LIBIDO' CLIP;
10:04 BREAKER;
10:09 FF#3 VS LIME SPIDERS 'JUST ONE SOLUTION' CLIP;
13:36 VS HOST;
14:06 FF#2 VS DEPECHE MODE 'PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE' CLIP;
17:40 FF#4 VS DEPECHE MODE 'BLASPHEMOUS RUMOURS' CLIP;
22:43 FF#4 VS DEPECHE MODE 'STRANGE LOVE'CLIP;
26:25 MCU HOST;
27:07 FF#2 VS TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY ' IF YOU LET ME STAY' CLIP;
30:10 BREAKER;
30:15 FF#2 VS TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY 'WISHING WELL' CLIP;
33:34 VS HOST;
34:04 FF#2 VS WESTWORLD 'SONIC BOOM BOY' CLIP;
37:01 FF#3 VS WESTWORLD 'BA NA NA BAM BOO' CLIP;
39:59 MCU HOST;
40:37 FF#6 VS IMMACULATE FOOLS 'SAVE IT' CLIP;
44:49 BREAKER;
44:53 FF#4 VS IMMACULATE FOOLS 'TRAGIC COMEDY' CLIP;
48:48 FF#2 VS MIGHTY LEMON DROPS 'OUT OF HAND' CLIP;
52:22 FF#5 VS PREVIEW OF PETER BLAKELEY AND THE RESURRECTION LIVE IN STUDIO INCL CLOSING CREDITS

But when the show started and Suzanne Dowling was introducing what was going to be on this program it was a whole different show. What rage actually did show instead was this episode

September 1 1987
SUZANNE DOWLING HOSTS ROCK ARENA WITH VIDEO RELEASES FROM THE ART OF NOISE 'DRAGNET','CLOSE (TO THE EDIT)' & 'PETER GUNN THEME',DWIGHT YOAKAM 'GUITAR,CADILLACS & 'LITTLE SISTER',COCTEAU TWINS 'CRUSHED',CLAN OF XYMOX 'MUSCOVIET MUSQUITO',TRIPPS 'SHIP'S CAT',TALL TALES & TRUE 'UP OUR STREET', AND A LIVE CONCERT AT THE ALBERT HALL WITH SUZANNE VEGA 'LANGUAGE','CRACKING','STRAIGHT LINE','MARLENE ON THE WALL' & 'TOM'S DINNER';OPENING TITLES HUNTERS & COLLECTORS 'THE WAY TO GO OUT'

So instead of dating the episode as September 1st, 1987 they dated it as August 1st, 1987. Even on the airing of this Rock Arena it still said August. Seriously, it is ridiculous making such errors

Re: ROCK ARENA - AUGUST 1ST, 1987

VERY disappointing, as I was looking forward to 'Ba Na Na Bam Boo' by Westworld. There is nothing on the replacement episode I'm interested in.
Very poor "research" by the Rage people.

Jason 'The Moderator"
So whilst I was watching live to air 'rage goes retro', the 2nd Rock Arena for the night which was dated 1st August, 1987... But when the show started and Suzanne Dowling was introducing what was going to be on this program it was a whole different show. What rage actually did show instead was this episode: September 1 1987

Oh dear, that's a pretty basic mistake. I haven't watched any of the shows yet, just waking up...

I just looked at a 1987 calendar, and 1st August 1987 was a Sunday, which should have been a giveaway the date was wrong. September 1st was a Tuesday, which was when 'Rock Arena' normally aired, right?

I like Suzanne Vega, so am happy with this episode. But the wrong date thing is a bit annoying.

D A M M I T! The August episode looks so much better. I too was looking forward to Westworld. Insteresting though, on 1 Aug episode how it has Terence Trent D'arby's 'If You Let Me Stay'. I know it was released in 1987, but didn't become a hit here until June 1988. I assume it was re-released after the huge success of 'Sign Your Name'?

ohnoitisnathan
I just looked at a 1987 calendar, and 1st August 1987 was a Sunday, which should have been a giveaway the date was wrong. September 1st was a Tuesday, which was when 'Rock Arena' normally aired, right?

I like Suzanne Vega, so am happy with this episode. But the wrong date thing is a bit annoying.

I also enjoyed watching Suzanne Vega and some of the clips like the Cocteau Twins one were interesting. Dwight Yoakam though

Michael
D A M M I T! The August episode looks so much better. I too was looking forward to Westworld. Insteresting though, on 1 Aug episode how it has Terence Trent D'arby's 'If You Let Me Stay'. I know it was released in 1987, but didn't become a hit here until June 1988. I assume it was re-released after the huge success of 'Sign Your Name'?

Yes, that is correct. Although 'If You Let Me Stay' peaked at #89 upon its initial chart entry in 1987.

I'm normally a little slow reviewing the RAs so I only just realised the original date and playlist was wrong. I was about to post something about it when I found this thread.

I'm a bit of a D'Arby/Maitreya tragic so I was a bit disappointed.

Vega was the best thing about the episode shown I think. Good to see the Peter Gunn clip. I think I actually saw this show when it was broadcast as I can remember it finishing a show.