Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Smash Hits 87 CD?

Does anyone have the smash hits 87 CD released by Festival and CBS? We have all the tracks on there from other compilation CDs and we can reconstruct it. However between my friends and I, none of us can find the right version of Dead or Alive's "Brand new lover", which on that compilation goes for 3:37. There is a version on their greatest hits "Evolution", but it is brickwalled (very loud) to the pits, so be nice to get it with all the dynamics in tact. We've had no luck with torrents nor newsgroups either.

So, if anyone has this comp, would please appreciate a flac or wav rip of this one track.

Re: Smash Hits 87 CD?

Mark,

This site had a CD rip of it but it points to a rapidshare link which is now dead:

http://80s-tapes.blogspot.com.au/search/label/1987

Wonder if she can be contacted via that and could help you out?

Thanks for the link, but I think she just recompiled mp3s across the web to reconstruct her compilations. But I will drop a line to find out. Thanks. You'd think if she's got the covers, then she may have the original comps - fingers crossed. :)

Mark from 2PR FM
Thanks for the link, but I think she just recompiled mp3s across the web to reconstruct her compilations. But I will drop a line to find out. Thanks. You'd think if she's got the covers, then she may have the original comps - fingers crossed. :)

I haven't looked at that blog in ages, but I'm fairly surely they were rips of her *cassette* tapes (hence the 80stapes name). I downloaded one of Hits of '89 Volume 2 about 6 years ago. It was definitely a cassette, and not CD source. Since that compilation came out after Smash Hits '87, I think it's fair to assume that her Smash Hits '87 source would have also been cassette rather than CD, but it's still worth a try.

Wish I could help, but only have it on cassette and MP3.

Mark from 2PR FM
Does anyone have the smash hits 87 CD released by Festival and CBS? We have all the tracks on there from other compilation CDs and we can reconstruct it. However between my friends and I, none of us can find the right version of Dead or Alive's "Brand new lover", which on that compilation goes for 3:37. There is a version on their greatest hits "Evolution", but it is brickwalled (very loud) to the pits, so be nice to get it with all the dynamics in tact. We've had no luck with torrents nor newsgroups either.

So, if anyone has this comp, would please appreciate a flac or wav rip of this one track.

It seems to get listed regularly on ebay but sells for a few dollars. Two recent sales went for $50 and $66 (but that was also the listing price) and there is a current listing with two days to go at about $16:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMASH-HITS-1987-RARE-DELETED-COMPILATION-/381127175717?

Mark from 2PR FM

Hi Mark

I am not too sure if this is the exact same version but it is called
Brand New Lover (Edit) and it is Track 6 on Dead or Alive's Greatest Hits album called That's The Way I Like It. Let me know if it is the same one as it does go for 3:42 but there is about 4 seconds of silence at the end. I uploaded it to mediafire for you

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ad6ybd6pfy1icmy/06_-_Brand_New_Lover_(Edit).rar

I forgot to tell you Mark, you will need to use WinRAR to extract it and there is no password.

Hi Mark.
In addition to what Lee provided, I can try to help you out as I have Smash Hits 87 on CD. I'm an audio novice though, not sure if I can rip to flac but I'm open to suggestions. I just use Windows Media Player which has an option of wav (lossless), is that ok?
Alternately I'm not that attached to the original as I'm more interested in the regular eighties compilations than "best ofs", so I'd consider selling if you desperately want the real thing. Up to you mate, I'm easy with either option.

Hi Brad

I am 100% sure Mark would rather have the WAV file, as it is clearly much better quality than a FLAC file.

I am sure he would be rapped.

@Brad, I'll take you up on your offer - I've sent you an e-mail.

@Lee, thanks so much for your efforts. Greatly appreciated. I downloaded and started playing the track and it is the right version. Unfortunately the people at sony who have mastered the CD have compressed all the dynamics again, and thus all the tracks sound brickwalled. If the mastering was better, I would have liked to of got the single edit of "In too deep" off you as well, but seems sony's bad habits are hard to break. :(

Again, my gratitude to you both, much valued. :)

On a side note, WAV, Flac, and APE are all the same, no quality is lost. The only small advantage of WAVs is that they are easier to import into editing and playout software. Converting Flacs and APEs into WAVs is no drama, hense why I'm happy with any of the three formats.

Anyway, with the hot weather, everyone chill out, and have a beer on me. :) Or should a say a Coke, as I don't drink alcohol. :)

Hi Mark I have all the Aussie 80s compilations that were on CD. If you need anything give me an PM.

Cheers

Dexter
Hi Mark I have all the Aussie 80s compilations that were on CD. If you need anything give me an PM.

Cheers

Hey Dexter - sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. Brad was very kind to send me a copy of this compilation for a reasonable price, but unfortunately Australia Post has lost it, so I may have to ask if you could please rip some tracks for me.

With the Smash Hits '87 CD, could I please get a flac or Wav rip of Dead or Alive's "Brand new lover"?

And if anyone has the Australian Pop Hits of the 80s (like wow wipeout) CD volume 5, I would also like to please get Big Red's "The traveller". I've bought all the CDs in the series except for this one, because I have the other 39 tracks on other CDs.

Mark from 2PR FM
Dexter

Cheers

Hey Dexter - sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. Brad was very kind to send me a copy of this compilation for a reasonable price, but unfortunately Australia Post has lost it, so I may have to ask if you could please rip some tracks for me.

With the Smash Hits '87 CD, could I please get a flac or Wav rip of Dead or Alive's "Brand new lover"?

And if anyone has the Australian Pop Hits of the 80s (like wow wipeout) CD volume 5, I would also like to please get Big Red's "The traveller". I've bought all the CDs in the series except for this one, because I have the other 39 tracks on other CDs.

Hello Mark

I can't find your email address so I will put the link in here. This is the Big Red link from Volume 5. Enjoy mate. It is a WAV File

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/9pdxcgh3j0duhjh/Big_Red_-_The_Traveller.wav

Lee
Hello Mark

I can't find your email address so I will put the link in here. This is the Big Red link from Volume 5. Enjoy mate. It is a WAV File

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/9pdxcgh3j0duhjh/Big_Red_-_The_Traveller.wav

[/quote

Thanks very much for this Lee, I've just downloaded it, and it sounds great. Much appreciated. :)

Mark from 2PR FM
Dexter

Cheers

Here you go https://mega.co.nz/#!rFNW0L6Y!AWfMg8-ochcZB3rOiSPYAssJGlJezcyBmsgXdZVXnzQ

Thanks dexter for this rip, much appreciated, we can now reconstruct this compilation in it's entirety. :)

"Here you go https://mega.co.nz/#!rFNW0L6Y!AWfMg8-ochcZB3rOiSPYAssJGlJezcyBmsgXdZVXnzQ"

This is lossy sourced. Not real flac.

Started at: Friday, 16. 12. 2016. - 0:42.01
1 file found

1 -===- C:\\Users\\admin\\Downloads\\17. Dead or Alive - Brand New Lover.flac
Extracted successfully
Conclusion: this track is MPEG with probability 95%
Tempfile successfully deleted.

Finished at: Friday, 16. 12. 2016. - 0:42.10 (operation time: 0:00.09)