Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My NEW Jenny Morris ijter view COMING!

Just got a call from Jenny Morris' manager. I will be doing an email interview her int he next week! :-)

Anyone here is welcome to suggest any questions you may want me to ask her! :-)

Re: My NEW Jenny Morris ijter view COMING!

Some ideas for ridiculous questions (only kidding really, but you can ask if you like!):

- All 4 singles released from 'Shiver' started with the letter 'S' (Saved Me, She Has To Be Loved, Street of Love, Self Deceiver), and so did the album title. Was there any symbolic meaning behind this, or was it purely coincidental?

- There was a TV advert for the 'Salvation Jane' album, featuring two women in a bus, where one asked the other, "Have you heard the new Jenny Morris album?", and the other one replied, "No I haven't, actually." and that was it. Whose idea was this?

Great Nathan,

Those 2 questions are GENIUS and very intriguing so they MUST be asked and answered!

One question that would be interesting to know, but I probably wouldn't ask, I always thought that her and Hutch had a thing going on in the mid 80's when they did the "Jackson" thing together.

Jason 'The Moderator'
Great Nathan,

Those 2 questions are GENIUS and very intriguing so they MUST be asked and answered!

Some more ideas:

- 'Saved Me' was a bold/unusual choice for an opening single from your second album. Were you nervous that the album might not be received as well because of this?

- Is there any reason the song is titled 'She HAS To Be Loved' when this is only used in the lyrics once, but 'She GOT To Be Loved' is repeated throughout?

- Why wasn't 'Get Some Humour' on the 'Body and Soul' album?

- Any particular reason for the nun outfit with shades in the 'Everywhere I Go' video?

- Why wasn't the 'Street of Love' video included on the 'The Story So Far' VHS?

Not really a question, but for some reason, I completely misinterpreted the meaning behind 'I've Had You' when it was released. Given her deadpan expressions in the video, and being unaware that she had a child, I thought the song was 'I've HAD you!' as in 'I'm sick to death of you!' Even some of the lyrics seemed to fit this, like "And I take my dying breath, and I feel no ache or pain" - because she's so over this person, or maybe numb from the experience. Um... I was only 13 at the time, OK But I wouldn't tell her this as I know the song is quite personal to her, and about the complete opposite.

Jase, looks like Nathan's going to handle this interview!!!!!

Great questions, Nathan!

I wouldn't mind knowing what her success was like in Europe. Strangely enough late last year I was shocked to see she released 'Saved Me' as a single over in the UK and I wouldn't have thought she tried the waters over there. On the cd single (which I have since found and brought) there is an ad for the album, so I'll assume she released it over there as well and wonder how it went.

SydneySean

I wouldn't mind knowing what her success was like in Europe. Strangely enough late last year I was shocked to see she released 'Saved Me' as a single over in the UK and I wouldn't have thought she tried the waters over there. On the cd single (which I have since found and brought) there is an ad for the album, so I'll assume she released it over there as well and wonder how it went.

Yes, 'Saved Me' had a European release, with a slightly different mix used for the single version.

She didn't have any European mainstream chart success from what I can gather (but Jenny may have a different recollection, as artists often do ), although Germany's charts aren't archived on a chart site where you can look up various country's charts.

Australia:

Singles:

1982 Puberty Blues #88
1986 Get Some Humour #92
1986 You're Gonna Get Hurt #24
1987 Body and Soul #55
1987 You I Know #13
1987 Lighthearted #70
1989 Saved Me #27
1989 She Has To Be Loved #5 (gold, 39th highest selling single of 1989)
1989 Street of Love #51
1990 Self Deceiver #94
1990 Piece of My Heart #24
1991 Break In the Weather #2 (gold, 52nd highest selling single of 1991)
1991 I've Had You #39
1992 Zero #89
1992 Tears #92
1993 The Price I Pay #78

Albums:

1987 Body and Soul #13
1989 Shiver #5 (double platinum, 30th highest selling album of 1989, 82nd highest selling album of 1990)
1991 Honeychild #5 (platinum, 54th highest selling album of 1991)
1992 The Best of Jenny Morris - The Story So Far #12 (gold)
1995 Salvation Jane #70

New Zealand:

Singles

Title Entry Peak weeks
You I Know 30/08/1987 30 5
Lighthearted 06/12/1987 30 3
Saved Me 10/09/1989 37 4
She Has To Be Loved 01/10/1989 3 19
Aotearoa 21/01/1990 35 4
Break In The Weather 27/10/1991 5 15
I've Had You 26/01/1992 39 2
Zero 15/03/1992 33 4
Tears 22/11/1992 18 8

Albums

Title Entry Peak weeks
Body & Soul 30/08/1987 21 20
Shiver 17/09/1989 6 25
Honeychild 03/11/1991 5 21
The Best Of Jenny Morris 29/11/1992 4 11

UK:

She had no top 100 success (courtesy of http://www.chartstats.com/ ).

Jason :-)

This could be one...

I often wonder with a few artists lately delving into their vaults for unreleased gems or alternate takes of songs if Jenny's willing to go through what's there and release a CD full of 'em. Be great to hear any alternate mixes of things like Break In The Weather or You I Know etc if there are some around.

SydneySean
Jase, looks like Nathan's going to handle this interview!!!!!

Great questions, Nathan!

Believe me, I have MANY questions of my own!!! LOL...

Look at you Nathan with all the chart positions...

Jason 'The Moderator'
Look at you Nathan with all the chart positions...

Well I am (was) a chart freak

I think Jenny's version of 'In Too Deep' is better than Belinda Carlisle's (I bought Jenny's). I thought this song would have been a return to form for Jenny and get her back in the charts again, but funny enough, it became a big hit for Belinda and returned her to the charts after a few years absence.

FAVOURITE JENNY MORRIS SONG? What's yours? Mine is an unusual choice, firstly: "Lighthearted" (which only made #70 on the charts) and closely followed by "You're Gonna Get Hurt".

'You I Know' and of course it was written by NEIL FINN!

Does Australian chart positions of Jenny Morris' singles and albums were from Kent Music Report/AMR, ARIA or both?

Nicholas
Does Australian chart positions of Jenny Morris' singles and albums were from Kent Music Report/AMR, ARIA or both?

ARIA licensed the Kent (Australian Music Report) chart from May 1983 until mid June 1988. So this was the only national chart that existed prior to ARIA compiling their own in-house chart from mid June 1988. All chart peaks before 'Saved Me' are therefore from the Kent Report (licensed by ARIA) chart. Chart peaks from 'Saved Me' onwards are from ARIA.

Michael
I think Jenny's version of 'In Too Deep' is better than Belinda Carlisle's (I bought Jenny's). I thought this song would have been a return to form for Jenny and get her back in the charts again, but funny enough, it became a big hit for Belinda and returned her to the charts after a few years absence.

When Belinca toured here last year it was part of her set and she introduced it as a great song done by a great Oz artist every time. Awwwww....

Michael
'You I Know' and of course it was written by NEIL FINN!

Ooh, this would probably be my fav JM track!

My FAV Jenny Morris material is with QED. Everywhere I Go, This One, Barbie Doll and Animal Magic are just SENSATIONAL for me and better than any of her solo work *****

For solo work 'Saved Me' * 'Break In the Weather' and 'She Has To Be Loved'

My favourite Jenny Morris song would be a 3-way tie between 'Street of Love', 'I've Had You', and 'Saved Me'.

Hey Sean, yes I forgot Belinda played 'In Too Deep' from her setlist and she did say those exact words! I think I will now change my fave track to 'This One' Love it and the video.

Can someone jog my memory?...Have we had a Countdown episode with 'Get Some Humour' featured?

Michael

Can someone jog my memory?...Have we had a Countdown episode with 'Get Some Humour' featured?

Yes, we have, and within the last few years from memory.

Sorry, what date? I want to drag it out and play the vid/episode at sometime.

Love Jenny Morris. Have been fortunate over the years to chat and catch up with her about her experiences in the music industry and all. She is always one cool lady who has never really ever got too caught up with her success as she also is a devoted wife & mother to her 2 childern Hugh & Bella Clarke. Although she is Kiwi we know her from her solo career mostly based in Australia. Jenny first came to national recognition with the Kiwi New-Wave band The Crocodiles in 1980 that had a top 20 hit "Tears" in New Zealand. One year later Debbie Byrne would release it as a single also and perform it on "Countdown". A short stint with QED followed before she would tour as a backup singer with INXS which gave her the exposure to launch her solo career.

Although "Break In The Weather" is such a cool catchy and original song I would have preferred "Rage" play the music video "The Price I Pay" (1993) as this clip is quite rare and those I know whom are JM supporters don't have copies of it either. Please someone request this music vid. I have on a number of occasions yet it still has never been played since it's only time back in late 1993. JM is a great live performer and excellent songwriter and like many female artists in this country somewhat underrated. As I know plenty about Jenny already I will let others ask questions for this interview. Enjoy your chat with Jenny Jason.

Jenny also released a fourth final single "Crackerjack Man" in May 1992 from the "Honeychild" cd album. It reached #98 for about one week only from memory or there about. I have the cd single in my music collection as well as info taken from "The Australian Chart Book" & "Top 40 Research Book" used for radio stations. Just thought this may be of interest also for any JM supporters out there.

Wasn't Jenny's partner/husband a reporter on The Factory? His surname is Clarke and I recall people saying he was, back then. He had blonde hair. Anyway, I think he is featured on the 7 May '88 The Factory episode on rage this morning.

Nathan,

I'd love to have you do a full list of all the chart positions and time in chart for the MODELS single and album releases.

Very curious about any overseas success also...

All the best,
Warwick

Scott

Although "Break In The Weather" is such a cool catchy and original song I would have preferred "Rage" play the music video "The Price I Pay" (1993) as this clip is quite rare and those I know whom are JM supporters don't have copies of it either. Please someone request this music vid. I have on a number of occasions yet it still has never been played since it's only time back in late 1993.

I've asked for this clip too on the Rage forum, and the Moderater said they *have* it, I think from memory on an archive tape. So why don't they play it?

I caught it on Rage back in '93, but unfortunately soon taped over the VHS tape, as I hadn't yet figured out how to dub from VCR to VCR.

Scott
Jenny also released a fourth final single "Crackerjack Man" in May 1992 from the "Honeychild" cd album. It reached #98 for about one week only from memory or there about. I have the cd single in my music collection as well as info taken from "The Australian Chart Book" & "Top 40 Research Book" used for radio stations. Just thought this may be of interest also for any JM supporters out there.

Crackerjack Man did chart at #98 on the Kent Report/Australian Music Report chart, but did not crack the top 100 on ARIA's chart.

Warwick James
Nathan,

I'd love to have you do a full list of all the chart positions and time in chart for the MODELS single and album releases.

Very curious about any overseas success also...

All the best,
Warwick

Debut date, title, peak, weeks in top 100:

Singles:

24/8/1981 Cut Lunch (EP) #38, 12 weeks
26/9/1983 I Hear Motion #16, 21 weeks
14/5/1984 God Bless America #86, 5 weeks
12/11/1984 Big On Love #24, 18 weeks
25/3/1985 Barbados #2, 19 weeks
15/7/1985 Out of Mind, Out of Sight #1, 23 weeks
28/10/1985 Cold Fever #36, 11 weeks
13/1/1986 King of Kings #96, 3 weeks
1/9/1986 Evolution #21, 9 weeks
10/11/1986 Let's Kiss #27, 16 weeks
9/3/1987 Hold On #21, 15 weeks
28/9/1987 Oh Darling #48, 9 weeks

Albums:

17/11/1980 Alphabravocharliedeltaechofoxtrotgolf #43, 9 weeks
3/8/1981 Cut Lunch #37, 15 weeks
2/11/1981 Local &/Or General #30, 10 weeks
7/11/1983 The Pleasure of Your Company #12, 16 weeks
19/8/1985 Out of Mind, Out of Sight #3, 28 weeks
22/12/1986 Models' Media #30, 24 weeks

MODELS [AU] IN NEW ZEALAND CHARTS
Singles

Title Entry Peak weeks
Barbados 22/09/1985 32 5
Out Of Mind Out Of Sight 20/10/1985 3 14
Cold Fever 02/02/1986 22 6
Let's Kiss 08/02/1987 31 5

Albums

Title Entry Peak weeks
Out Of Mind Out Of Sight 10/11/1985 8 14
Models' Media 08/02/1987 44 2

That's all I can find. I don't know of a US chart database online, so don't know if they had any success there.

Michael-the Paul Clarke in The Factory isn't the one married to Jenny Morris.The Paul Clarke married to Jenny is on drums in the Body & Soul clip

Thanks for clearing this up John. I always thought it was him ever since The Factory days. To think I have misled myself for 25 years!

VERY cool, Jenny Morris has just emailed me the answers to the questions I sent her.

Will upload it in the next week :-)

And tay, tay, tay.... I included some of your questions.

Your question on how all the tracks and album title with everything starting with S was a VERY interesting answer from her!

STAY TUNED! :-)

I can't wait to read her answer to that question Jason.

It's NOT a very long answer but you will see what I mean when you read her answer, LOL!!! It's funny... I am VERY glad you suggested that question by the way!... I used a few of yours :-

THANKS!!!

Still dying to hear her answer to the consecutive 'S' releases question

It's coming. Can afford to pay my website designer to put it up for me this week :-)

I always though that Jenny's husband Paul Clarke only featured on drums in You're Gonna Get Hurt music video clip only. Paul went onto advertising after a stint in the music industry. Mark Williams who now fronts Dragon was in Body And Soul music video clip from memory. 🤔

Hi Jason!

Hope all is well for you in 2017!

Wondering if you can lift the ban on my facebook account please? I think it might've been applied due to a misunderstanding with one of the moderators - I'm not really sure.

Anyway, keep up with the interviews and DJing! :)

All the best,
Warwick

5 years ago I said that??!! Things have changed. "You're gonna get hurt" is by far her best song, particularly the 12" extended.