Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

Restoration Recommendations
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
This New Forum
Restoration Recommendations We are always looking for a company or person who can sell us a part; perform a service such as painting, upholstery, welding, part rebuilding, electrical, etc. So here you can use this forum to suggest those vendors, part numbers, peopl...
Views: 1165   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 8, 2011 10:51am
by james humphreys
Autolite ignition coil
I am looking for an original autolite ignition coil for my b22 1922. I have seen a few for sale on ebay but I am not sure of there condition and I do not know if they can be renovated as I will not drive around with a 100 year old coil not knowing its exactely condi...
Views: 62   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 7, 2023 6:39am
by Jens Henrik Jepp...
d
Dean
Carburetor troubleshooting
Hello all, I have three problems I would love input on. I recently purchased a beautiful 1929 Durant Sedan in an auction. The car is in wonderful condition, no rot, rust or damage. I have never owned a Durant before so this is exciting. My problems are as follows...
Views: 108   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 10, 2023 4:32pm
by Rick Botti
Interior door panels
I am looking for suggestions for the material that I should use for the interior panels on my 1928 Durant M-2 4-door sedan. Is Cowlboard the standard material used or something else? Who is a good supplier?
Views: 50   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 7, 2023 9:13am
by Gil Winje
Interior Carpet/Rubber
I have a 1928 M2 4-door sedan. When I bought the car it had a carpet for the rear floor with snaps on the floor to hold it in place. I'm not sure what the material is? Would it be wool? The front had no floor covering and no snaps. Since the front floor had no snaps...
Views: 59   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 15, 2023 2:40pm
by Gil Winje
Continental A-22 Engine Rebuilder Recommendations?
Might be a long shot, but does anyone know of a good place (anywhere in the US) that specializes in rebuilding early Continental engines? I have an original 200ci OHV for my A-22 that I was going to try and tackle myself, but I think it's beyond my abilities. I have...
Views: 478   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 16, 2023 9:58am
by Marcus Smith
paint in door jams
Finally painting my 26'M sedan. Been a long time since I stripped the car. I cant remember how the door jams were painted. The car will be black from the belt up, and Bronze green from the belt down. Are the jams painted two tone or they black top to bottom. Curt
Views: 59   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 29, 2023 5:45pm
by curtis bartell
Reproduction Parts
I was wondering if anybody has bought any parts from a Brisbane, Australian company called Vintage Reproduction. They are listed on the Technical Page of the Durant Club website. Their email is vintagereproductions@bigpond.com. I am interested in several reproduction...
Views: 244   Replies: 10
Last Post: Mar 18, 2023 12:26pm
by Mike Linthicum
Respoking wood wheels
For those of you lucky enough to own a wooden wheel Durant product; at last weekend's Portland Swap Meet vendor offering--Wood Wheels Respoked Tom Dessert 815 NE 235th Street Ridgefield Washinton 98642 Phone is (360)910-4362. Email DESSERTT@Hotmail.com. No ideas abou...
Views: 127   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 20, 2023 3:40pm
by Rick Bottt
headlamp reflectors plating service
I've used two outfits for headlamp reflectors First is Chidgey & Son. I spoke with the founder a few years ago and he gave me a great price. He and his son are Silver platers and the old man told me a story about when he was young, his first car was a worn out...
Views: 58   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 15, 2023 12:14pm
by Rick Botti
Gluing rubber mat to running board
I have made new oak running boards for my 1928 Durant. I ordered rubber mats from Metro Moulded Parts and trim from Restoration Supply. I was planning on gluing the rubber mat to the running board at least around the edges. Does anyone have a suggestion on the type/b...
Views: 97   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 1, 2022 9:27am
by Gil Winje
LightinSight.com
Hi All-For those that have a hard time seeing the traffic lights when driving our old cars, there is a neat little product out that makes seeing all the traffic lights without bending your head down. It is a flexible stick on plastic lens (Fresnel) that can be applie...
Views: 78   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 27, 2022 3:12pm
by Phil Peters
"Best" products
Found this YouTube channel (Project Farm) that does tests of the best products that we would use in our restorations (along with many other things). His tests seem well thought out and bias free. For example, he has tested penetrating liquids/rust dissolvers (of impo...
Views: 77   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 19, 2022 9:50pm
by Ross hoevet
Nickel & Chrome plating
Over the past couple of years, I have had a number of parts nickeled for my Durant as well as parts chromed for my Triumph TR6 by Librandi's plating. I've had no issue with them and their work is excellent. I had one small area that had not been fixed before plating...
Views: 76   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 5, 2022 9:09am
by Mike Linthicum
Leather fan belts fro our cars
I just found a site called "Then and Now Auto" which lists a number of fan belts for our cars. I purchased a 1" x 40" size for my Model 65 and it came in. Looks good and is stitched well to join it. Doesn't use metal stitches though, but does look strong enough. Fast...
Views: 97   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 21, 2022 10:06am
by Mike Linthicum
Flat belt fan assembly
I am looking for a replacement flat belt fan assembly. Continental W4 on a 1926 Star Coupster.
Views: 116   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 21, 2022 10:03am
by Mike Linthicum
Head Lamps
I am looking for a pair of headlights for a 1926 Star Coupster. The original body color matched can style lights were replaced with larger dual beam chrome bodied lights.
Views: 71   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 21, 2021 7:43pm
by Mike Phillips
Nickel/chrome plating in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania area
Anyone looking for a great plater for your nickle or chrome parts, I recommend Librandi's just outside of Harrisburg, PA. Many of the AACA people use them, and I've used them on my parts and am 100% satisfied. They are at Hershey Car show each year in October and wil...
Views: 74   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 25, 2021 7:08am
by Mike Linthicum
Speedometer ends
Anyone know the speedometer cable end piece dimensions (transmission side) and where you might find cable repair components. Also inner cable diameter. Thank you for your input.
Views: 203   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 23, 2021 9:56am
by Curtis Bartell
J&M Machine Co Inc.
New Star member has this business. Specializes in the complete rebuilding of Antique and Modern engines for Automobiles, Trucks, Tractors, Industrial Marine, Coaches and more. http://jandm-machine.com/index.html
Views: 188   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 22, 2020 6:54am
by Norm Toone
rubber balls
One inch rubber balls as used in our Spicer u-joints available from "McMaster Carr". High strength neoprene. Around $8.00 for a package of five. Pretty cheap. These guys supply high quality products for reasonable money. I've never been disappointed yet.
Views: 179   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 1, 2020 7:10pm
by Curtis Bartell
Distributor
Looking for recommendations on replacing the distributor housing and re-building generator. Greatly appreciate any help. Engine is running but the cast distributor housing is falling apart and a second generator is mounted on a separate pully.
Views: 235   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 7, 2020 9:08am
by Ken Hoshowski
Rebabbitting Service
Kohnke Rebabbitting Service, 60615 330th Avenue, Clare, Iowa, 50524. This is our 55th Year. We rebuild all Cars, Tractors, and Machine bearings, and others. We rebuild Rods, Mains, Cam Bearings, Ect. Many Bearings are Spun, or Centrifugally poured. Shop Phone 515-303...
Views: 210   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 8, 2019 2:02pm
by Herman Kohnke
Gasket for Durant product cars
At Hershey this year a gentleman came by from the below business. He advised that he carries Gaskets for all of our Durant cars. Gasket City 39 Saveryn Road, Hamilton Ontario, Canada L98 1N4 Toll Free 1-888-335-4686 email: alambert@gasketcity.com WEBSITE:...
Views: 235   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 15, 2019 10:47am
by Mike Linthicum
Water Pump issues
I have came into ownership of a 1924 Flint E55. Got it running but have some coolant leaks that need to be taken care of. Specifically out of the shaft of the water pump. Looks to have a brass compression sleeve or bushing that the shaft passes through. Coolant is co...
Views: 263   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 6, 2019 10:09pm
by Jim Moore
Restoration info, pics, mechanical, structual
We have been tasked with restoring a 1926 Star and are looking for anything we can find to help guide us with this one. Anyone have anything to help us?
Views: 380   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 27, 2019 8:45am
by Don Shilling
W4 Breakdown, Rebuild Manual
Can anyone recommend a good source for a breakdown or rebuild manual for the Continental W4 engine? The plan is to replace the little Star engine in my A-22 , but I have plans for the engine and it is suddenly (and mysteriously) using oil. There is seeping around t...
Views: 563   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 22, 2019 6:31pm
by Dylan
wiring and electric parts
I found an option for wires looms spark plugs the company is brillmans wiring harness I have ordered plug wires,boots and wire fittings cost is less then rhode island wiring and they usually ship the same day
Views: 279   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 15, 2018 1:40pm
by jeff quicksell
star exhaust
I have a 1924 star had a hole in front pipe to manifold had to send front pipe to waldrons exhaust so the are making copies and you will be able to order a pipe if needed
Views: 205   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 2, 2018 1:36pm
by jeff quicksell
Water pump parts and restoration
I am in need of information on a vendor who sells parts for or will rebuild a water pump for an M-2 motor?
Views: 270   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 24, 2018 6:18am
by Mike Linthicum
Body wood made
Have a look in Facebook under Automotive Wood Bodies where Robin Baker down Toronto way, is making a new body wood for a 1928 M2 sedan.
Views: 539   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 13, 2018 6:00am
by Robin Baker
1930 Durant Model 614 Rumble Seat Coupe
I was contacted by Laura Boyer who can be reached at Laurab0317@yahoo.com who has a 1930 Durant Model 16 rumble seat coupe for sail in New Jersey. The car has been garaged since the 1970's and was driven up until about 5 years ago when her husband took ill. She also...
Views: 464   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 12, 2018 6:45pm
by Ken McCormick( b...
Oil header flange gaskets
I received a set of gaskets from Olsen’s that included 4 identical gaskets listed for the oil header flange however i can not figure out where they belong What is the oil header flange and where is it located?
Views: 236   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 4, 2018 10:31am
by Don Shilling
Grey green motor paint formula
Can anyone provide me with the formula and where to buy the Grey-Green paint for the motor
Views: 360   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 3, 2018 4:23pm
by Parker Edmondson
Clutch and Brake relining
Found a recommendation on the AACA forum for a company in upstate New York that specializes in clutch and brake relining. I Spoke with the gentleman and they primarily work on antique car items. Sent my clutch and front brakes off and they relined them for me. Price...
Views: 359   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 21, 2017 2:40pm
by Mike Linthicum
Replacing oil pan gaskets
Any hints on replacing gaskets without pulling the engine out of the car I sure don't want to go thru that again but I have a bad leak and have to stop it. I pulled the oil pan off and found the rear gasket was not installed right ( It was in crooked a...
Views: 449   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 21, 2017 8:55am
by Bill
Valves Angle
I am having the valves redone and I am wondering if anybody has the angles/specs for the valves. Your help would be appreciated as I have searched high and low. Thank you!
Views: 250   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 8, 2017 8:26am
by Don Shilling
U-Joint rubber ball source
Hi all, looking for a source for the 1" rubber balls in the Spicer U-Joint.
Views: 598   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 20, 2016 6:06pm
by Jason Greenwood
Views: 391   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 17, 2016 3:09pm
by jim schouviller
Correct Gray/Green color for Durant/Star engines
Took my bell housing with the original Gray/Green paint used on Durants and Stars to my local PPG automotive paint dealer. they computer matched the color perfectly and now has the formula/code on record for anyone that wants to have the authentic color used. I purch...
Views: 470   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 23, 2015 8:18am
by Mike Linthicum
Zenith Carbs source
http://www.autotestsys.com/
Views: 590   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 24, 2015 2:04pm
by Ken Hoshowski
Radiator repair/replace
A friend North of me needs help on what to do with a leaking radiator. What is the best approach? The cost to repair is to much. Can he put modern parts in the shell? Thanks, Gary
Views: 591   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 10, 2015 5:25pm
by jeff martin
Tillotson Carburetor Needle & Seat Kit
For anyone like me out there still running a Tillotson MV-1A or MV-1B carb, there is a fellow name Gary making a brand new needle and seat kit. To my knowledge, there is nobody else out there making these and I can testify to their working like a charm. Gary is a r...
Views: 737   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 9, 2015 11:14am
by David M. Saleh
i have parts for sale
i have a 28 coupe that i`m going to hotrod. parts for sale trany 4 tires & wood wheels rear end & alot of small parts email cwpierce48@yahoo.com
Views: 1138   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 31, 2015 2:00pm
by Henry Ruzicka
Vintage Reproductions for Durant & Rugby parts.
I just received yesterday from Vintage Reproductions in Australia my window winders and escutcheons for my interior doors and windows. Previously I had ordered my door handles to open the doors. The quality is excellent and they're made in stainless steel that when b...
Views: 510   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 8, 2015 6:48am
by Mike Linthicum
j
Jim
Gas Tank Replacement
Has anyone had any luck getting a replacement gas tank made? I'm trying to get estimates at local sheet metal fabricators now. Any idea what a reasonable price should be? I need a better gas tank for my '29 Durant Model 63. We've got an old spare tank, but it is t...
Views: 487   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 22, 2015 6:59pm
by Jim
Source for rear wheel hub pullers
Hi All... This fellow can make new hub pullers for any vehicle......Frank George's excellent hub pullers (308)586-1930. www.customhubpullers.com
Views: 530   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 16, 2015 7:54am
by Bill Hoaglan
Source for ignition & door keys
Hi All... here is a link to a source that can supply key blanks for our cars as well as cut new keys to code. Frank http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_14223643297246&key=c81177253a52b296f324af540b3d8eea&libId=e55392b8-2db0-4c49-bcd3-ee193...
Views: 373   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 27, 2015 5:14am
by Frank Witkowski
U/Joint flywheel to G/box or complete assembly
Please can any one supply the above new or used, for my roadster which I use for vintage sporting trials. Regards Trevor
Views: 317   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 19, 2015 12:18pm
by Trevor Corner
torque
Hi Claude, We are almost neighbours and if I remember right you have rebuilt your car too.I would like to chat with you on a few subjects when you have a few minutes.
Views: 366   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 3, 2015 1:34pm
by Gerry Gouin
1 2 3

The Durant Motors Automobile Club