Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Starter
Looking for a starter. New or rebuilt any suggestions? Thanks for the help! 1923 Durant Touring
Views: 111   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 20, 2021 5:48am
by Dave Blyler
Starter Bendix
My Bendix is has some chipped teeth and occasionally skips. Is there a source for a newly manufactured one? (There is a company making new ones for the 1925 Chevy that appear to be identical but they gave 10 teeth. I count 11 on mine.
Views: 145   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 14, 2021 3:28pm
by ross
2022 Calendar
Stephanie still has a few blank pages in the upcoming 2022 calendar. She is looking for a picture of your car. Digital pictures with lots of pixels (large). The calendar pages are square, our cars are long, so to make the pictures work she needs some sky and foregr...
Views: 112   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 13, 2021 2:47pm
by Robert Bush
New Pacific Coast Spring Tour for 2022
No sooner has the 2021 Spring Tour come to an end are we announcing next year's Spring Fling!!! Mike & Irene Babick are putting together a fun tour located in the land of Redwood forests, Eureka, California. For more information click the link below or go to th...
Views: 107   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 13, 2021 2:45pm
by Robert Bush
Star model years
Years ago Jeff Gillis and I had a few discussions regarding the year of my Star. I was told when I bought it that it was a 1926 Model M (four door sedan). The title said 1925. Jeff and I decided it was a 1926 based on the absence of the lower belt line which runs dow...
Views: 156   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 23, 2021 9:48am
by Curtis Bartell
Specifications for Star W5 engine
I have a Star W5 engine (Head casting W5 A 5078 C/L +logo); S/N 373522; date head cast 5 24 28 (I interpret as May 24th, 1928), manufactured for Durant Motors of Canada Ltd, Leaside which has been custom converted for marine use by an auto mechanic. It has been store...
Views: 1006   Replies: 13
Last Post: May 22, 2021 5:34am
by Norm Toone
vacuum tank
Was re-restoring my vacuum tank ater 30 years of collecting dust in a box. Suddenly occured to me that gasoline is very different now than when it was put it away. Most guys are running electric fuel pumps by now. My question is this. Will the new ethanol fuel eat th...
Views: 187   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 20, 2021 12:42pm
by Robert Bush
Durant Partner
Thank you Shawn, Bob and Mike for the latest Durant Partner. The front cover really got me excited. Thank you. As I am now saying "good memories" My DeVaux was a "Fall Series". DeVaux added the cowl band and free wheeling in August 31. I bought it in American Cany...
Views: 192   Replies: 9
Last Post: May 12, 2021 10:04am
by Bill Hoaglan
spring fling
We just finished the spring fling in Utah Now there say that you have to have a tickets to go to the Golden Spike Mon. so we were very lucky to have been there Thur.
Views: 121   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 10, 2021 11:19am
by mike b
Pacific Coast Chapter Spring Filing Tour is next Month!!
Pacific Coast Chapter DMAC Spring Tour Ogden, Utah May 3-7, 2021 Best Western High Country Inn 1335 W 1200 S Street Ogden, Utah (801) 394-9474 Registration form on the Club Events page.
Views: 131   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 30, 2021 7:50am
by Bill Hoaglan
Old Continental engine
Hi all, I got an old Continental engine a few years ago from a friend who thought it was a 22A for my 614. The engine is in fact a F244A that was used in industrial applications. It is quite different form the 22A, everything is on opposite sides (exhaust vs. i...
Views: 162   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 25, 2021 4:59pm
by Norm Toone
Model 40 Rear Axle Ratio
Was wondering if the rear axle ration of the Model 40 was the same as the Model 60 which is 4:44 to 1. The transmission is the same but haven't been able to confirm if the rear axle is 4:44 to 1 or ? Please let me know if you have one. Thanks, Phil
Views: 120   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 25, 2021 8:49am
by Norm Toone
Lining up engine with gearbox
Hi I've just mounted my newly reconditioned engine on the chassis and an wondering what sort of adjustments I can make to ensure it lines up (side view) with the gearbox. Things that come to mind include: 1) Front engine mounting brackets that fit inside rubber mo...
Views: 144   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 20, 2021 1:27pm
by Duncan Smeaton
1930 Durant 617 Sedan with 15U Continental
Hello all! New member here and hopefully for many years to come! I acquired my Durant from a man in Florence, Alabama about a year and a half ago. It sat for MANY years in his garage out back. I have since then got it running and driving pretty well. It is all origin...
Views: 833   Replies: 38
Last Post: Apr 17, 2021 8:41am
by Norm Toone
battery?
What could one expect if they are charging a 12 volt battery with 6 volts?
Views: 135   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 16, 2021 9:21pm
by Vincent OBrien
A22 Muffler
I wondered how many of the A22 Frame built A22 mufflers are still in use. Our 1922 Durant still has a good tubular backbone outer frame pipe, but we had to replace the inner pipe. We do not know if the inner pipe was an original, or was from a Star, or was hand produ...
Views: 128   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 11, 2021 3:29pm
by Bill Hoaglan
Fluids
Hello all, Spring has sprund and she is running like a champ! I-4 Conntenental I want to change fluids Oil I was going to use 30W non-detergent. But what about transmission, and rear pumpkin. Thanks in advance for the help
Views: 145   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 9, 2021 5:24am
by Mike Linthicum
Pacific Coast Chapter’s Shakedown Tour is Back!
Pacific Coast Chapter’s Shakedown Tour is Back! April 17th 9:30 am meet at Bert & Sonia's house in American Canyon Check your club roster or contact Mike Babick mikeb@durantmotors.org
Views: 135   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 4, 2021 7:00pm
by Rick Botti
r
Ross
Barney Google radiator mascot on Star motometer
A recent Bonham's online auction (lot#28), out of New York sold a "Barney Google" radiator mascot mounted to a Star motometer. Barney was sitting on his horse "Sparkplug" and this sold for $1530.00 including buyer's premium. I guess we should all check our display ca...
Views: 123   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 27, 2021 6:11am
by Tom Schaffer
Spring 2021: Edition Durant Partner
Hello folks, Just a reminder that the deadline has now passed for the Spring edition submissions. However, if you have material you want to send, please go ahead and get that in to me as soon as possible. We'd like to focus this edition on the DeVaux. If you ha...
Views: 171   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 25, 2021 5:54am
by Robert Wakefield
Winter Edition Durant Partner 2020
Hello all, The Winter Durant Partner is nearly fit for print. Well... getting there. Ideally, I finish the Partner before the 1st, including giving Mike a chance to look it over and write his piece. Unfortunately, family issues got in the way. This kind of work...
Views: 722   Replies: 32
Last Post: Mar 22, 2021 3:59pm
by Tom Schaffer
East Coast Chapter DMAC Spring Tour
Spring is about to get sprung. Are any plans in the works for the Flint meet?
Views: 149   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 16, 2021 6:34am
by Don Shilling
Zenith carburetor and vacuum tank
I am looking for a new complete Zenith carburetor for my 1928 Durant 4 cylinder also a complete vacuum tank for the same vehicle.
Views: 172   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 9, 2021 9:22am
by Dave Roberts
1924 star brakes model f
so im needing some help with rear brakes i have a 24 star im replacing rear brakes i have reassembled them but my brakes where only used on that year im told by don shilling, With the car on jacks i can spin wheel one way no problem but if i go the other way parking...
Views: 129   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 7, 2021 8:16am
by Jeffrey Quicksel...
Rear main bearing oil splash guard
Hi I have an M2 4 cylinder engine nearly rebuilt but at the last minute we have discovered we are missing a splash guard on the upper side of the back end of the main bearing. This stops oil leaking out the back of the engine (flywheel end). In most blocks, this spl...
Views: 145   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 4, 2021 3:31pm
by Don Shilling
Tools for sale
I have a lot of tools for sale. I have finally quit working and its time to download.Come see what I have and help me get rid of stuff. Ken
Views: 129   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 4, 2021 12:26pm
by Ken MCcormick
2021 National Meet
The announcement of the Durant National Meet 2021 is just the kind of good news we all need these days. Scheduled for Wednesday through Sunday. I wonder if there will be activities planned for Saturday and Sunday, or will those be "travel" days for the attendee's?
Views: 184   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 27, 2021 12:26pm
by Robert Bush
DMAC Annual Tour is a GO!
Annual DMAC National Tour Grand Junction, Colorado Arrive Tuesday, September 14, Departure Sunday, September 19. Details have ben posted to the Club Events Page. Rick
Views: 114   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 21, 2021 3:28pm
by RICK BOTTI
Uploading pictures to the Forum
Hi Norm. Thanks for the advice on how to upload pictures to the Forum. Using the link "How to Add Pictures" at the top of the Forum page was surprisingly easy, even for a first-timer like me.
Views: 109   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 21, 2021 11:38am
by Norm Toone
bendix brakes
We have 4 wheel bendix brakes(Simple cam design) and they generally call them, 11 inch. Well we measured ours and they are 10 5/8 inch inside diameter. we purchased 3/16 brake material as quoted on this forum. The problem is, they do not fit inside the drum and no...
Views: 134   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 21, 2021 8:44am
by William Durant
rear brakes on 24 star
so im replacing rear brakes on my star i did right side no problem but now to the left . on the parking brake shoe (inner) i was missing the one shoe u bracket welded to shoe and where the shoe goes into the brake lever there is play so shoe moves until slack is take...
Views: 115   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 7, 2021 1:14pm
by jeff quicksell
m
mike b
Get your dmac calenders!
If you haven't heard, the Dmac calenders are in. This would be a great holiday stocking stuffer for the Durantonian in you. The pictures can be seen on all Facebook pages. Get one while supplies last. Remember all proceeds go to our club. Just go to Dmac stores and p...
Views: 260   Replies: 8
Last Post: Feb 6, 2021 2:28pm
by mike b
29 Roadster Measurements Needed!!!
Hello, I'm in need of some measurements to brace and restore my 29 roadster body. Primarily, I'm looking for the distance from door jam to door jam on the rear section (trunk section). A measurement from top to top and bottom to bottom would be great, as well as t...
Views: 365   Replies: 9
Last Post: Feb 2, 2021 10:29am
by Norm Toone
bonding brakes
We are planning to reline our Bendix 3 shoe brakes, with 3/16 material and brass rivets. My question, would it be advisable to also add some brake bonding agent with the rivets? Thanks Bill Durant
Views: 185   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 27, 2021 7:18pm
by Don Shilling
r
Ross
Teaser on facebook
Check out my latest project on the Durant site on facebook. "Durant Motorsports" brake bands
Views: 363   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 20, 2021 11:14am
by ross hoevet
Very Nice Locomobile Book on eBay
There is a very nice Locomobile book on eBay. Pricey but excellent. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1916-1917-Locomobile-Standard-Custom-Models-Prestige-Sales-Brochure-Book-Nice/382859069895?hash=item59242dc9c7:g:HewAAOSw9tFdlMA3
Views: 116   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 17, 2021 12:02pm
by Robert Bush
Kingston vacuum tank fuel feed
The Kingston vacuum tank is a different animal than the Stewart unit. The Kingston is simpler with a lot less moving parts. I'm curious to learn how the Kingston unit knows it's full? There is a brass fitting (vacuum) at the top of the unit. 1) There is an opening f...
Views: 132   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 11, 2021 6:48am
by Bob Smith
Carburator issues
The Carb is leaking and we are planning to rebuild or replace, the present one is a Zenith 04 series which is a model T carburetor. But The jets are fixed jets, which means not good for a Six cylinder engine. Does anyone know what the correct carb should be used on t...
Views: 149   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 8, 2021 9:34am
by RICK BOTTI
Locomobile for sale
1913 Locomobile for sale on Bring A Trailer. Not a Billy Durant era car, but we wouldn't kick you off a tour for leaking oil! Happy New Year Mike B?
Views: 181   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 4, 2021 8:23am
by mike b
Looking at a purchase
Hello Norm, I hope you can give me a little help and insight. I'm looking at purchasing a 29 Rugby. You probably know the truck, it is from your area. For sale right now in Carleton Place. looks like it came from Constance Bay. It is in very rough condition. Motor i...
Views: 320   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 29, 2020 6:53pm
by Ted Kester¹
Transmission oil
Can someone please tell me what 600 W steam cylinder oil is? A definition of suitable oil for 1928 Durant gear box, clutch throwout and rear differential would be very helpful. Someone in my locality has suggested SAE 70-90, API GL5.
Views: 187   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 28, 2020 5:56pm
by cdmn
Supporting the Durant Museum
If you would like to support the Durant Museum effort without any pain, you can join the Amazon Smile program by going to Amazon Smile and select Durant Motors Automobile Museum Inc. from the list of charitable organizations. If you could also get friends and relativ...
Views: 138   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 16, 2020 6:46am
by Mike Linthicum
Durant's Birthday and a new Durant in the garage
It wasn't my birthday today.. It was William Crapo Durant's, however by coincidence I did receive an additional car today, a Durant 6-17 coupe. Yes it has a new home
Views: 280   Replies: 11
Last Post: Dec 12, 2020 6:32pm
by William J DeVrie...
A couple new donations at the Gilmore
Spent the morning enjoying a fresh donation at the Gilmore Museum. A pair of Continentals. upload photo gallery
Views: 218   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 12, 2020 6:27pm
by William J DeVrie...
m
mike b
December mens tech Zoom session
Well if didn't know, tech sessions have been going on monthly. This month Tech session is how to repair your Spicer unit on your Durant and Stars. Rick and the junior mechanics will show you how we repair Spicer units. email me and I can send you the Link. the date i...
Views: 117   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 11, 2020 7:33am
by mike b
Mike,s DeVaux
Mike,s DeVaux is on E-Bay. I think it is not a true Rumble. Not sure but I think I remember a conversation on that years ago. Gary
Views: 198   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 7, 2020 3:56pm
by Bob Smith
d
Dave
Devaux
Hello everyone There are two devauxs for sale at the same time I don’t believe that has happened since 1931,, Dave
Views: 148   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 1, 2020 3:15pm
by Dave
Model Identification Help Needed
I recently purchased a 1928 Durant Brougham it does not have a tag or an engine tag I was wondering if there was any other stamps on the frame or any other way to identify this vehicle it looks as if they changed out the original motor from the pictures that I’...
Views: 186   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 1, 2020 6:04am
by Norm Toone
The Larsen Durant 6-17 auction has ended
The ebay auction for the Larsen 6-17 coupe has ended at $21,600.00 with a RNM (reserve not met). Probably not unexpected due to the reported price of restoration of somewhere around $100,000.00. In spite of the problems that some have with ebay,it does reach a large...
Views: 188   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 30, 2020 9:51am
by mike b
m
mike b
With Sincere Condolences
It is with heavy heart that we express our sincere condolences to Gordon Curl on the loss of his wife, Mary Carolyne in late September. She was one of the original members of the DMAC when it was founded in Hershey and her exuberant smile and enthusiasm will be great...
Views: 206   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 27, 2020 1:37pm
by Don Shilling
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

The Durant Motors Automobile Club