Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Tires
I have the Coker recommended 475/500 x 19 tires on my 31 Durant. They dont have much braking surface and don't look quite right to me. What size/brand tire would work best and look good?
Views: 1238   Replies: 19
Last Post: Aug 27, 2012 1:59pm
by tienie pitzer
Dist gear set
"HELP" I need a set of gears for my '29 M4 distbutor and gen it is a W5 4cly. motor would like NOS if i can get them. Come boys dig in the garage and help me out.
Views: 201   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 26, 2012 8:09pm
by Don Gaskill
Wheels from a '25 on a '26
I have been looking a long time for wheels for my '26 and haven't had any luck. I did manage to find a good set off a '25 for a reasonable price. Just wondering if there will be any size difference that will cause me any issues?
Views: 151   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 26, 2012 4:21pm
by Brian D.
e
Eliot
Radiator Emblem
What is the difference in the raditor emblems of the 23,24,25,26 Stars?
Views: 235   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 25, 2012 6:17pm
by Don Shilling
DMAC on the radio !!
DMAC on the radio Tomorrow, Sunday August 18th at 9:00am Pacific time I will be on the radio talking to the hosts of the Way Back Now Show on KYAA 1200am in Monterey, California. For a few minutes we'll talk about Durants and the DMAC National meet in Traverse...
Views: 333   Replies: 7
Last Post: Aug 25, 2012 2:06pm
by Gordon F. Curl
Transporting of Fender from Sperry to Traverse
I've bought a fender for a '26 Star from Dave Schulte in Sperry, Iowa and need to get it to Ken McCormick at the Traverse, Michigan meet of Sept. 19th... Anyone going by that way that I could beg, borrow or pay to get it to Traverse.? Your consideration would be ap...
Views: 260   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 24, 2012 8:31am
by Ken McCormick
Traverse City...it's next month
Hello DMAC members It's time to get off the bubble, there are only a couple of weeks left, to receive a DMAC discount on room reservations; call Sleep Inn (231-938-7000) soon. Mention Durant Looking at the registrations that I have received, it looks like...
Views: 2865   Replies: 19
Last Post: Aug 23, 2012 10:22am
by mike Linthicum
Lance is recovering!
The following is the content of an email that Lance sent earlier this evening..... Hello everyone. Well l survived a heart attack this last Thursday and the great fast acting San Diego fire dept with a ambulance got here with in about 3 to 4 minutes and speed m...
Views: 438   Replies: 11
Last Post: Aug 20, 2012 6:46pm
by Ken McCormick
Differential
Has anyone got some info on removing the crown gear from the diff? Would really appreciate seeing a picture with instructions on how to do this. I cant seem to get it apart enough to get it out of the case -And cant get the diff apart far enough to get at it well....
Views: 254   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 18, 2012 9:10am
by Ken McCormick
Security code to post
there has to be a better way, Those letters/numbers are very hard to figure out sometimes.....there has to be a better way to display them so that you can figure them out....this is the second time today that it took me twice to post something because I cannot figur...
Views: 237   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 16, 2012 4:43pm
by Rick Botti
Boy Scout Photo Contest
How many of you are on Facebook? If you are, we would like your assistance, and some of you already have helped. One of our grandsons, and those of you that attended the Lancaster Meet met Donovan, too a photograph at the Boy Scout Summit Shakedown last week. That...
Views: 528   Replies: 15
Last Post: Aug 15, 2012 4:24pm
by Charles A. Spitz...
Pinion gear and bearings
I need a new pinion gear if anyone has one for sale- Mine got a bit of damage when the nut came off the end of the shaft and The inner bearing got chewed up. I see that both inner and outer bearings are the same? ( I think) I could use a pair of these as well D...
Views: 237   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 14, 2012 10:50pm
by Ross Hoevet
Drove 4 blocks and had to trailer it back
I am beginning to wonder if I will ever get this car to go anywhere. I thought I would go to the gas sta down the hill . Never got there. Rear end seized up tight so I had to skid it up onto my trailer and get it back in the shop. I found the nut from the pinion gea...
Views: 232   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 14, 2012 7:45pm
by Vince O'Brien
crown gear and pinion
After taking the rear end apart i found all sorts of metal chips in the rear housing. Crown gear teeth are chewed up pretty good --Has anyone got a crown gear and pinion they would part with For my car ?? I sure need one now. I will take mine out and try to find s...
Views: 178   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 13, 2012 4:42pm
by Rick Botti
Model 612 Coupe Restoration
Yesterday I took some photographs of a Durant undergoing restoration owned by Frank Lersch of Hayward, California. The car has an interesting story behind it and is currently undergoing restoration. The car is and will continue to be a driver, not trailer queen. It h...
Views: 273   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 12, 2012 4:21pm
by Rick Botti
Traverse City
Our reservations have been made. Check sent to Bob and cashed and made hotel reservations. Meeting up with Pam & Roger Von Bergen to fly into Grand Rapids. Driving into Traverse City trailing their Cord as they are attending a meet two weeks earlier and leaving th...
Views: 219   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 10, 2012 7:18pm
by Charles A. Spitz...
618 tire cover
Many years ago my grandfather owned a rare 32 durant model 618 apparently it was only produced in limited quantities and those made were used in the showrooms of dealers to promote the 32 line. He sold the car in the mid 1950s but kept the spare tire cover which he g...
Views: 363   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 10, 2012 11:50am
by Gordon F. Curl
Rotor and dist cap
I dont know how this happened but I seem to have a short rotor and a tall cap Just wont work that way. Has anyone got a part number for a tall rotor --Or if not maybe for a short cap. The mystery is that I had the car running one time. Part numbers and make would...
Views: 222   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 6, 2012 9:43pm
by Ken
Picture of cross shaft and return springs attached
does anyone have a picture showing the cross shaft with all compnents attached? I need to see some thing about the clutch and brake pedal return springs. There has to be something to bring them back up after they are used.Also be nice to see the Brake lever rod att...
Views: 330   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 3, 2012 9:12am
by Ken McCormick
Over two Hundred new pictures posted on website.
Many new pictures posted on website. Thanks to John Neil who sent me 54 pictures of the this year's Durant Gathering. Carol Fogarazzo for material from East Coast tours 2005, 2006,2007,2010, 2011 & 2012. Judy Woodard for sending me pictures from the 2001 Flint,...
Views: 283   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 3, 2012 6:53am
by mike Linthicum
wheel
Does anyone know of a Durant car that had a 20" Hayes split demountable rim, with four attached lug ears? 21" outside to outside. 20" bead seat to bead seat. Thanks Curt
Views: 252   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 31, 2012 8:58am
by Curtis Bartell
Distributor replacement parts
Does anyone know the correct NAPA part numbers for the distributor cap, rotor, points and condensor for the Autolite distributor from a 1926 Flint 6E continental motor? The numbers listed on the tech page under Durant cars appear to be incorrect....
Views: 667   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 26, 2012 8:52pm
by Jim Greenamyer
e
Eliot
Clutch
I am makings progress on my STAR, 1925 Model F Coach, but I have a lot of questions. I need to know what material is used for the clutch. McMaster sells low friction, medium friction and high friction material. They also have some that is metal free. Which one of...
Views: 258   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 25, 2012 9:00pm
by Don Gaskill
j
Jay
Looking for Pictures of 26 Star Model M
I found a web page (http://www.tomstrongman.com/ClassicCars/Star/Index.htm) with a few good pictures of a 26 Star Model M owned by Jim and Carol Roberts. Not sure if they still own it and or are this forum. I'd love to see more pictures of anyone's Star of this year....
Views: 240   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 25, 2012 6:01pm
by gary k
Distributor Gears
I am looking for a new (NOS) distributor gear set #GT-21 and GJ-168 anyone Help?
Views: 212   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 23, 2012 5:53pm
by Don Shilling
g
gary k
1926 star parts pictures needed
hello men. i have had a request from a member for pics of the following parts....steering wheel, top bows for touring, door hinges. door latches....for a 1926 star touring with regular rear doors...can anyone help them out???? send pictures to me, gary k at froggys...
Views: 425   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 20, 2012 9:11pm
by gary k
Velocity channel Carfellos
Came across an amusing television show on the Velocity channel on Direct TV. It was called Carfello's about three guys that own a New York used car lot. Seems the owner went to jail for racketeering and is now out and his friends own this car lot. Anyway was watching...
Views: 249   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 20, 2012 6:28am
by mike Linthicum
j
Jay
Got me a Star...
Wow... ok here we go. Sorry about the repost for anyone that's seen me goofing around. Trying to figure this stuff out. I got me a 26 Star from Idaho for $1. =) So it's not in the best condition... Sorry if this thread brings hate down on me... Without s...
Views: 320   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 19, 2012 9:36pm
by Jay
Front pulley removal on a 4 cylinder W5 engine
I'm looking for information for a 4 cylinder W-5 engine. I need to replace timing chain, but not sure how to remove front crank pulley.Is this pulley only pressed on? Thanks.
Views: 253   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 17, 2012 12:49pm
by Don Shilling
Durant Carbs
I've rounded up 4 old junker Tillotson carbs, 3 JR1's and a JR5A. I would like to send them to a professional shop to have one built for my '29 D60. Who has any recommendations from past experience? Also, what is the difference between a JR1 and a JR5? Both have t...
Views: 322   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 15, 2012 7:02pm
by Vince O'Brien
Spark / throttle contols
Hello again and thanks very much to all who answered my previous question regarding body -to - frame welting. This time I'm seeking information regarding the Spark/Throttle controls. I have the levers at the top and bottom of the steering wheel but am a bit confused...
Views: 255   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 15, 2012 6:58pm
by Vince O'Brien
Photographs of your cars.
It's time all you new members to send in photographs of your cars for us to see. Doesn't matter if they are a project car, on the trailer, behind the house, next to the tree or wherever and in whatever state of restoration. Take a good picture and send it to Rick so...
Views: 337   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 13, 2012 2:22pm
by mike Linthicum
Robe Rail photographs
No one seems to have one of these and I haven't contacted the Butters yet, but this weekend when your out puttering around your car, can someone take some pictures of their robe rail for me? Particularly the 28 or 29 year 4 door sedans. Probably would be OK if someon...
Views: 321   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 13, 2012 2:19pm
by mike Linthicum
valve clearance
Would anyone know what the valve clearance should be fo a Continental 14L engine? Are they to be adjusted hot or cold? Is the clearance for the intake valves the same as for the exhaust valves? Also, what should the head bolts be torqued to? Kind regards and th...
Views: 353   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 11, 2012 7:00pm
by Claude Lavoie
1924 Flint at Auction
Hi All..... Just a heads up. If anyone needs a "road trip" There is an upcoming auction listed on the HCCA web site. It is in Farmington MO. On June 30th. Real interesting estate collection. Among the many cars is a 1924 Flint. Here is the link to the S...
Views: 817   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jul 11, 2012 8:41am
by mike Linthicum
Summer edition
Anyone receive their summer edition of the Durant Magazine yet? I have not, maybe too soon....
Views: 428   Replies: 12
Last Post: Jul 10, 2012 10:13pm
by Ken McCormick
e
Eliot
Stars up for aucton.
Thought someone in the general area may be interested. Old Cars weekly has an ad in the July 20th issue for the following Stars, 1927 Star Coupe, 1923 Star Touring, 1926 Star running chassis and a 1926 Star Coupster. To be auctioned July 22 2012, Cambridge IL.
Views: 262   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 10, 2012 8:09pm
by Gary Yelle
Headlight bar length
Say my headlight bar for my 29 coupe model 60 does not seem to fit right,can anybody give me an overall length of theirs. I just want to make sure I have the correct one. Thanks
Views: 194   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 8, 2012 5:56pm
by Phil Peters
softening old upholstry?
Hi all I have just purchased a 1924 Flint open car that had been stored for many years in Missouri. We are beginning the process of cleaning away many years of dust and grim along with the mouse houses. I am looking for suggestions as to the best way to clean...
Views: 329   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jul 8, 2012 2:13pm
by Yates Milton
July 4, 1776
As the United States begins the celebration of the 236th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, let us extend our best wishes for an enjoyable day. Let us not forget all of the men and women that have served in our armed forces so that we can enjoy the free...
Views: 273   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 7, 2012 5:15am
by mike Linthicum
Views: 2402   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jul 6, 2012 5:39am
by mike Linthicum
Ontario region Weekend meet
Hi folks: If you forgot to send in your registration for this weekend, do not despair. Come anyway. Check our the information on the "Club events" tab. We will welcome one and all. We have a great contingent of cars coming, including a 1923 LEXINGTON. Now that i...
Views: 240   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 5, 2012 7:45am
by Carol
g
gary k
FOR JOY FOR JOY...I HAVE MY NEW TOY
I HAVE FINALLY BROUGHT HOME MY NEWEWST AND I BELIEVE MY FINAL DURANT ...A MODEL 60 COUPE....NEED PLENTY OF WORK...MOSTLY PARTS FOR MY 60 SEDAN....MAYBE A STORY FOR MAGAZINE ABOUT IT..
Views: 301   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 5, 2012 7:32am
by Carol
Engine/trans.alignment
Well I finished the body off restoration of the frame, took the cylinder head off to verify that the motor was actually overhauled, and yes I found the bores to be nicely honed with shiny new pistons. I dropped the motor and trans. in and there seems to be an alignme...
Views: 304   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 5, 2012 5:38am
by mike Linthicum
1926 Star Roadster Colors ?
Hi All........ Cathy's roadster is getting ready for the final paint. She likes the following two toned color. Any ideas on the actual paint colors and where they might be available, or modern equivalents? Thanks.....Frank ---
Views: 606   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 3, 2012 5:34am
by Lance Chabot
putting it back together again
Got it all checked out. seems okay-- Now putting it back together AGAIN. Got the motor back in and some of the parts attached . Had to quit for a while-- Drink time lol. Should have it done in a day or two--Other than going away for the weekend . These trips kee...
Views: 204   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 29, 2012 5:05pm
by Ken McCormick
Stars At Norm Miller Auction July 22
Hi All..... Here is a link to the listing for the estate auction. Lots of interesting items! Some one need a "road trip"? Frank --- http://www.stenzelauction.com/7-22-12.html
Views: 306   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 28, 2012 10:55am
by Frank Witkowski
14L Front Oil Seal
OK, I'm getting to the point of installing the timing chain cover on my '29 Durant 14L engine. What has anybody done about installing a modern oil seal in the timing cover to replace the felt ring??
Views: 298   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 28, 2012 1:12am
by Lance Haynes
Oil leak
I am sure getting discouraged . I was sure I almost had this car on the road . Now I find the rear main seal is leaking again. Looks like another tear down and rebuild again. I will check again tomorrow and make sure but I cant even think of checking it tonite. Migh...
Views: 231   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 27, 2012 10:37pm
by Ken
Charging question
I went through a new coil in less than a thousand miles and I'm trying to figure out why. It seems like the generator is charging the battery anytime I'm above idle. At its peak, the generator is putting out 9.25 volts which seems high for a 6 volt system. When th...
Views: 246   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 26, 2012 9:07pm
by Vince O'Brien
29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

The Durant Motors Automobile Club