Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Roofing material
I will soon be looking for material to cover the roof on this car. What kind of stuff should I be getting ?? I know padding and chicken wire - but the main top has to be a sort of oil cloth . Does anyone know what it is called and where it can be bought ??...
Views: 934   Replies: 13
Last Post: Mar 18, 2007 7:04pm
by Bob Porter
Hemmings Classic Car Durant's Star article
Hi All...... Look on page 33 of the September issue for a short article about the Star. Any comments? Frank ---
Views: 251   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 17, 2013 5:54am
by Mike Linthicum
Need Wiring harness
Greetings Durant club, I have a request. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 1930 Durant 6-14 sedan? I had some hand drawn ones from Elmer’s (previous owner) collection at one time. But they have gone missing, now I have some issues that I need to trace o...
Views: 340   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 14, 2013 6:01pm
by Ross
Exhaust fixings
The exhaust system on my car (W5 engine) keeps separating from the exhaust manifold. The exhaust is held to the manifold by a 'split collar' on the manifold held in-place with a screw clip. This clip vibrates off and the whole thing falls apart!! I do not believe...
Views: 311   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 10, 2013 3:09am
by Norm Toone
g
Gerald
Curly wires on the ignition switch - help?
Hi again all, I am cleaning up my ignition swithch at the moment. While doing so, I noticed these wires (the curly ones) looked as if they had shielding / insulation on them at some point in the past. I was wondering if this is something that should be replaced...
Views: 230   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 9, 2013 9:55pm
by Gerald
Getting a roof together ; help wanted in info and pics
Sirs: Good-day. I have a '26 Model M Touring, it once had a roof and the side canvas pieces. Well now all I have are the "side" canvas pieces, no roof and no iron for the roof. I am going down to Jim Olson's in Lundbreck Alberta on July 1st. He tells me he has...
Views: 348   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 8, 2013 8:15pm
by Ricardo H. Colom...
1926, 27, 28 Model M Parts Book information
Am looking for anyone with Repair Parts List booklet for Durant and Star for the years 1926 or 1927 or 1928. I wish for you to check the "Top Bows and Sockets - Touring" section. It should list the 4 bows for the roof. In my 1924 and 1929 Parts Booklet, along wit...
Views: 275   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 6, 2013 4:47pm
by Guy Belzil
Turned but didn't catch?
The fateful day, got gas to the Zenith carb, starter works well- a little did drip out when I flooded it with the choke. But was able to get the engine to backfire through the carb a few times- but that was it. Never caught...timing issue? Pulled the plugs and th...
Views: 376   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 2, 2013 9:17pm
by Jim Greenamyer
Wiper Motor and stop light
Hi there, As a new Durant owner, could anyone tell me and or send me a photo of the type of wiper motor and stop light originally fitted to my 1929 D60 Tourer as they are missing on my car. Thanks Mike
Views: 259   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 1, 2013 1:13am
by Mike Hayman
g
Gerald
Turning over but...
So, I got a 6V battery and got it hooked up today. Highest octane gas from Chevron with lead substitute. Hoses running to water bucket, sparkplugs are good. The starter is a question mark though. We got it to turn over with the starter, but the starter was touc...
Views: 434   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 30, 2013 1:56pm
by Gerald
Clutch Material Thickness
I have been restoring the Durant for about 7 years now. When I had the clutch relined,I believe that the new material was too thick (approx 1/8 inch). This has caused some difficult adjustment problems and I am currently experiencing some intermittent clutch squea...
Views: 221   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 30, 2013 10:39am
by Bill Hoaglan
Knight Rebound Controller (snubber)
Can anyone provide instructions for the Knight rebound controller - snubber? Does anyone have any of these Knigth snubber parts available for sale? Thanks
Views: 613   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jun 28, 2013 7:13pm
by Mac Irvine
g
Gerald
Questions after getting the M2 running:
The process of getting it running lead to several questions, some about the water pump, others just more generic questions. Accelerator - On the car we have, it doesn't seem very secure. It looks like there is only a spring holding it engine. The hole in the flo...
Views: 256   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 23, 2013 4:08pm
by Don Gaskill
'25 Flint Timing Gear Conversion
Hey All, Just finished installing #35 double roller sprockets and chain to replace the worn silant timing gear setup on the 6-W Continental engine in my '25 Flint....Bruce Hargin has instruction on converting the 14L engine to double roller in our Tec page under...
Views: 272   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 21, 2013 5:26pm
by Bill Hoaglan
New Argentine meet pictures posted.
I have just posted pictures from the third Argentine meet. Large number of Durants and Rugbys present. Rick
Views: 230   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 21, 2013 6:04am
by Guy Belzil
b
Brenda
1929 Model 66 De Luxe Coupe
Hello all. I am hoping someone can help me locate more information on my car. I have a 1929 Model 66 De Luxe Coupe Durant. Yes, it has the rumble seat and luggage rack. I would like to find out how many were made. We are looking to sell this car. As it is very...
Views: 618   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 21, 2013 5:34am
by Norm Toone
Part to connect the generator to the water pump???
I was able to start my De Vaux yesterday! After an extensive rebuild and piecing together a lot of loose parts it was great to hear the engine fire up. Other than some leaks here and there. didn't seem to be any big problems except.....the connection I used from the...
Views: 384   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 21, 2013 4:43am
by Norm Toone
g
Gerald
Oils and Lubricants
Hi everyone. Despite the problematic search for a radiator... a friend and myself are going to start the Durant up this weekend after a lengthy rest. We are trying to determine how our waterpump rebuild fared. We are going to use a large garbage container ful...
Views: 294   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 20, 2013 8:58pm
by cdmn
Radiator and Grill
I had to clean out my sister in laws grandmothers garage today and came across from what I can tell is a 1928/29 Durant Grill & Radiator. The Radiator seems to be mint, there are not visable repairs, dents, flaws in the fins at all! The Grill in great shape other tha...
Views: 444   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 18, 2013 1:21pm
by Mark
Super Rare 1933 Frontenac C-600
I recently picked up a 1933 Frontenac C-600 2dr. Sedan the only known one to exist to date. I have taken the part I needed (glove box door) and have the remainder which consist of a full body from front firewall cowl to tail apron, spare tire mount, one wheel, one ro...
Views: 287   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 18, 2013 11:18am
by Steve Large
g
Gerald
My Durant Restoration Page
If you head over to http://gfeathe6.wix.com/durant-m2 ... I have posted pictures of many of the parts of my Durant m2. Though I still need a radiator and good advice on oil ... (have heard 15W40 Diesel Oil is a good bet) The plan is to start it this weekend with a l...
Views: 274   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 18, 2013 10:59am
by Gerald
Looking for small trunk
Looking to buy a trunk similar to this one. I saw one a few years ago in this style but didn't need it at the time. All of the trunks I've seen on EBay are taller and intended for sedans. For the roadster I need the shorter style like the one below. Rick
Views: 295   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 17, 2013 8:29am
by dave enrico
More Lost Durant Parts......Found
Hi All.... Well Jim Greenamyer, aka Mr Flint , and I just returned from a quick week end trip ( 24 hours of drive time). We brought home a trailer and truck load of Durant, Star and Flint parts. We have at least one more load to pick up. A lot of nice stuff t...
Views: 3055   Replies: 43
Last Post: Jun 15, 2013 3:39am
by Norm Toone
Live & Online Auction of Dort and Dort Parts Friday, June 21, 2013
We are holding an estate auction Friday and Saturday, June 21 & 22, in New London and West Burlington (Southeast), IOWA. Dorts and Dort Parts! Great stuff! Online bidding is available on many of the items. You can bid any time - live auction starts at 9:30 AM CS...
Views: 230   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 11:07am
by DORTS & DORT PAR...
Dort Cars and Parts + a lot more at auction
Hi All..... Check out this auction! Lots of interesting stuff and internet bids ! Lot of Dort items, old engines, and other neat stuff! https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=67899 Thanks to Dave Schulte for sending me the link.....If you are intere...
Views: 245   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 3:03am
by Norm Toone
Durant D-60 Instrument Cluster
I'm building a new wiring harness and would also like to have the instrument cluster restored. Included are pics of my parts, as removed. I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like originally. Most of this car was painted black many years ago, maybe in a lame a...
Views: 304   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 13, 2013 8:16pm
by GARY KAUFFMAN
exhaust manifold paint
I've been checking around to see what the best system is to use on an exhaust manifold. Been told powder coat won't take the heat and didn't want to do the more expensive and incorrect ceramic coating. I was told if I do as instructed on the cast blast paint a...
Views: 328   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 11, 2013 4:21pm
by Jim G.
1930 Durant Limo?
A friend of ours had a ride in a 1930 Durant Limo in Walla Walla Washington last week. Check it out at www.dreamridecharters.com (check our fleet) Thank you
Views: 339   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 8, 2013 12:37am
by Lance Haynes
My dealings with a scammer... a reminder to be careful!
I received a response to one of my adds in the classified section. Here is how it played out... Them: I have about a hundred good parts for ( 26-'27 Star R Coupe    ) for sale garage kept,no dent still in good shape i can E_mail pics Any inter...
Views: 639   Replies: 12
Last Post: Jun 6, 2013 11:52am
by Norm Toone
Odus Raymer's Durant
I know many of you knew my Dad. Odus Raymer. He had the 1931 614 Sedan Durant pictured on the Index page of Photographs here. Dad just passed away in March at the age of 92. He lived with my husband and I in Oklahoma for over 3 years. Dad left the Durant to me. I tho...
Views: 402   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jun 4, 2013 1:51pm
by Mike Linthicum
to plate or not to plate?
Burning the forum up this week but I always defer to my fellow Durantonians for advise since you all are the experts on this, far more knowledgeable than I. 1928 Durant radiator emblem. Blue "D" with white background. Was the metal plated or not. Brass plated or gold...
Views: 284   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 3, 2013 12:10pm
by Mike Linthicum
Coincedental Locking mechanism
Posted this in the wanted section some time ago, thought I'd post it here too. I'm looking for a Coincidental Lock mechanism for my 28. Does not have to work (Most failed and were taken off and thrown away)but I want to use it to make one if I can't find one. Dave Sc...
Views: 298   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 3, 2013 12:05pm
by Mike Linthicum
Trico Windshield wiper vacuum motor
Ok Durantonians, you've helped me before so here we go. First I'd like to get some pictures of what the vacuum motor looks like above the windshield on the 1928 Durants. I guess it is a Trico, and if anyone has one can you look to find a model number for me. Secondly...
Views: 276   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 3, 2013 11:43am
by Mike Linthicum
d
dave
durant dort carriage tag ?
i found a bronze id tag stamped on it is " blue ribbon durant dort carriage co flint mich reg in us pat. off." what could this be from ? Dave
Views: 1447   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jun 3, 2013 10:56am
by donna
Member Roster & Supplier Updates
Hi All..... We are working on the new members roster. Check your information and if any updates are needed please notify Bob Smith. You can view the current info by clicking on the Members Login tab (contact Rick or myself if you need pass word) I'm updating...
Views: 230   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 30, 2013 4:24pm
by Mike Linthicum
1933 Continental Ace
I just recieved a batch of pictures of a beautifully restored 1933 Continental Ace. Will try to post the pictures later. Would somebody post a brief history of the story of the Continental and how it relates to Billy Durant. This car is for sale and the owner asked m...
Views: 1319   Replies: 20
Last Post: May 29, 2013 4:15pm
by Norm Toone
PARTS FROM GARY'S PILE
DEAR FRIENDS, I AM TRYING TO GET TO THE PARTS YOU HAVE ASKED ABOUT...I HAVE ALL YOUR REQUESTS AND SHOULD BE ABLE TO ADVISE EVERYONE WHAT I HAVE ...I HAVE ALL YOUR LETTERS IN ONE PILE AND WILL RESPOND AS SOON AS POSSIBLE...THANX GARY K
Views: 259   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 27, 2013 9:44pm
by GARY KAUFFMAN
check oil
hi I have just bought part of a durant star car. I have the engine running now but I can not find any way to check the oil level. I"m new at this so can someone help me thanks
Views: 378   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 22, 2013 8:14am
by Jim Greenamyer
Gas tank pick-up tube?
Does anyone know on a '24 Star does the tube inside the tank come out if I unscrew the fitting to the fuel line? I want to see how much tube is left but can't see it due to the filler neck being clear on the opposite side of the tank...can't even see on an angle....
Views: 258   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 17, 2013 6:16pm
by Jim Chocole
GM Purchases the old Durant/Dort Carriage plant in Flint, Michigan
Got this post from Hemmings today, some interesting history. Lance reported on this earlier in this forum. It will be interesting to see what they do with it and if the DMAC will have any input in it with big GM owning the building. Probably more GM history than Dura...
Views: 230   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 17, 2013 1:28pm
by Steve Large
s
Shawn
1924 Star Engine Info
I've got a couple of questions for the 24 Star motor. - What's the oil capacity and what oil weight do people normally run. Any issues with running full synthetic? - I'm trying to figure out what the wire with loop is. Any ideas? %%bbCodeItem_1%% %%bb...
Views: 260   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 15, 2013 7:26pm
by Don Shilling
Durant in Ireland 1924
Hi everyone My mother aunt and grandmother visited Ireland from Australia in 1924 and bought a second hand Durant to travel around and see their relations. I thought the model might be A22. Or what models do you think were exported to UK/Ireland before 1925? Has any...
Views: 220   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 11, 2013 11:12am
by Mike Rice
West Coast Spring Tour
The Pacific Coast Chapter DMAC will host our annual Spring Tour in beautiful Half Moon Bay, California from May 6-9th 2013. We'll arrive on Monday, tour on Tuesday, Wednesday and depart on Thursday. Our headquarters will be the Zaballa House B&B. We have a sp...
Views: 502   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 11, 2013 9:37am
by Rick Botti
Steering gear box
Hi partners, I'm having trouble locating replacement bearings for my steering gear box. Thought I had found some but, nope. Mine are "nice #4834 bearings". Anyone know of a source or a replacement that fits? Any help would be appreciated. Dave
Views: 228   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 9, 2013 5:56am
by David L. Coppess
San Diego Reservations
I just made the hotel reservations for the San Diego meet and when I received the conformation notice they said that the parking would cost $18.00 per day. I called the hotel and Veronica says that is true. I said that the Durant club was to be given free parking for...
Views: 243   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 8, 2013 4:43pm
by Charles A. Spitz...
GM to Buy Durant Dort Factory in Flint
Gary Yelle just forwarded this great news that GM is buying the old original Durant Dort factory in Flint for a museum for Durant and GM. Bob Smith had a tour for a bunch of us early DMAC members way back there in Flint and he took us to that very building, and we...
Views: 226   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 7, 2013 4:26pm
by Gary Yelle
How to set up brake pedal?
Odd kinda question, my brake pedal on my '24 Roadster kinda stays wherever you put it- forward, backward, middle, etc. What kind of spring arrangement is stock or best for this pedal to remain in its proper location? Thanks, Jim
Views: 201   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 7, 2013 6:22am
by Jim Chocole
Parade and Car Show
Saturday my Durant lead the Annual Palo Alto Fete' Parade. Afterwards the Roadster was display in the 2013 Vintage Vehicles & Family Festival Antique Car Show. In addition, Steve and Miesje Aldrich debuted their 1929 Durant model 60 Sedan. During the show , a repr...
Views: 257   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 7, 2013 5:43am
by Mike Linthicum
Elmer Gustafson
Elmer Gustafson and collector restorer Bert Laberett stand beside a Star touring car they restored and brought to my fathers home to take pictures and go for a spin. It was around 1969 and I was 14 getting my hands on experiance with old cars. Also an early Durant cl...
Views: 318   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 4, 2013 9:35am
by KeithN
R6A carburetor
I am in need for a needle, seat, float for a Tillotson carburetor if anyone has one or can tell me where I get one it would help
Views: 358   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 2, 2013 5:25am
by Mike Linthicum
24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

The Durant Motors Automobile Club