Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Star 4 cylinder engine identification
Found an old frame with engine. Four cylinder Star. Looking for help to determine if of value to anyone. Body parts rusted out but frame and engine in tact.
Views: 306   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 20, 2015 7:06am
by Don Shilling
6 Volt fuel pump
I am considering installing a 6 volt fuel pump in my restoration project. I will be using a new zenith carb. Any tips I should know about? What should the psi be? I think I have seen adjustable psi pumps. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Views: 228   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 19, 2015 1:29pm
by Ken Hoshowski
Were there different camshaft designs for the Durant 4 cyl engine?
Have a car in the restoration shop, And the rebuilt engine runs as if it has a huge race cam in it.... Very rough, yet consistent idle just as a race car sounds, heavy lope until around 1500 rpm... have tried correct tillotson and a rebuilt zenith carb, both are the...
Views: 236   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 19, 2015 4:40am
by Bill Hoaglan
DMAC Election of Officers
In less than one month the new DMAC Officers will have been chosen. Yes, the President and Vice President have been chosen. In my opinion that leaves one of the most important positions in the DMAC and that is the Secretary/Treasurer. Be sure to cast those ballot...
Views: 192   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 18, 2015 6:12pm
by Peggy Spitz
Camshaft
I need a camshaft for my 1930 Rugby truck..Does "W-5" sound right for the name of the engine?
Views: 192   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 17, 2015 1:58pm
by Don Atkinson
t
Thomas
Need a Head Gasket for a 1931 Durant
1931 Durant. (six cylinder). Need a head gasket. Cast numbers near front, lower, passenger side of block. 22 AA 609 M 2-19-31 Stamped numbers on machined pad, near rear, lower, passenger side of block 21952 Cast numbers (on cylinder he...
Views: 321   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 17, 2015 11:57am
by Ross Hoevet
1923 or 1924 Star Touring
I met an old gentleman last week that has a complete 1923 or 1924 Star car that has been completely disassembled stored in the loft of his tractor shed. I had a chance to see what I could see of the car but it is stored with a host of other car parts and it was quite...
Views: 454   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 17, 2015 6:09am
by Todd E. Frye
Timing issue or something else causing engine to push the flywheel the wrong way
Hi, thanks for reading this. I have run into a different issue once I changed my ignition system. (to recap: Points, distributor cap, rotor, coil and condenser were all replaced) When I started the car, I did get it to start a couple of times, but it was running wei...
Views: 309   Replies: 10
Last Post: Aug 14, 2015 9:19pm
by Gerald Feather
2015 annual meet
I'm planning to attend the annual meeting as a first timer, so here's a couple of dumb questions. Is there any area set up as a swap meet or is it strictly a car show of fully restored cars ? I could bring a parts car for sale and other parts or I could just bring...
Views: 204   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 14, 2015 6:28am
by Frank Witkowski
New Start Up
I am getting ready to start up the D40 for the first time in 45 years. The motor is not seized but needs a number of things. I am planning to buy a Zenith 14544 carburetor to replace the Tilstson. It also needs points, distributer cap, rotor, condenser, plugs and wir...
Views: 416   Replies: 10
Last Post: Aug 12, 2015 9:28pm
by Rick Botti
'29 Durant on San Antonio Craigslist
Anyone looking for a project in Texas? http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/5120392941.html
Views: 544   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 12, 2015 2:17pm
by Dave Schulte
First day on the road, ran into issues.
It was my first day going out with the Durant M2. It was supposed to be fun, however, it turned into a long night. I made it home, I hadn't really gone far. I just was going to get gas near my house, but unfortunately I live in the middle of a hill. The largest...
Views: 668   Replies: 17
Last Post: Aug 3, 2015 9:23am
by Bill Hoaglan
Wood sills measurements on a touring body
Anyone have a measurement on the far back end of the sills width. I've got measurements all along up to the dogleg but not the final at the rear where the tub fits. Read in an old partner article that that has to be correct for the rear fenders to line up with the fr...
Views: 230   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 2, 2015 3:25pm
by David M.Saleh
It's Yates Milton's BIrthday Today!!!
It's that very fine Southern Gentleman we all know and Founding President of the DMAC's, Birthday Today! In 1998 it was Yates and others that decided to keep the best antique automobile club going after the passing of Jeff Gillis the previous club coordinator. Happy...
Views: 289   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jul 31, 2015 8:41pm
by Peggy Spitz
Exhaust seems over hot!
Gentlemen: We finally have the 1922 A22 Durant running. The engine seems to heat up very quickly, and the exhaust tube( still using the original backbone with a new exhaust tube inserted) seems to get overly hot after a few minutes of running. Also the overhead...
Views: 268   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 28, 2015 8:27am
by Bill Hoaglan
Starter restoration
Sent my starter off to Advanced Electrical Rebuilders in Grand Ledge, Michigan for a complete rebuild. www.aerrebuild.com. Jason was recommended by several individuals on the AACA Forum. He did a complete rebuild, plus made a new tag up etc. The photos do not do it j...
Views: 236   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 27, 2015 8:09am
by Mike Linthicum
Need help in Phoenix Area
Hello all! I'm buying a 26 Star from a man just East of Phoenix and have developed health issues that will greatly delay the original pick-up date. I was supposed to pick the car up in late July or August but medical issues will prevent that for several months and p...
Views: 239   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 26, 2015 9:55pm
by Gene House
Coils?
Got a question for my fellow Durantonians. Are all coils the same? Besides of course 12 volt and 6 volt. Does our cars, particularly the 28/29 models take any special type of coil?
Views: 251   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 23, 2015 6:43pm
by Don Shilling
4star durant
Does anyone have any information on a 4star durant tractor??
Views: 252   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 21, 2015 6:59am
by Don
DeVaux at Spring AACA in Auburn
Just opened my July/Aug AACA mag and see Howard Reinke's 31 Sport sedan on page 58. Brings back good memories of riding with Howard at the Traverse City meet. Gary
Views: 210   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 18, 2015 3:14pm
by Gary Yelle
Spark and Throttle control Tube
I purchased this project in pieces so didn't have the luxury of taking it apart and knowing where all the pieces fit. The Steering/Spark/Throttle column has two vertical 3/16 threaded holes approximately 2 inches below the spark and throttle levers.. The hole spaci...
Views: 271   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 17, 2015 6:00am
by henri houle
New York Members, Need Your Help
Hi All.... If you are a New York resident this bill is important to you. Please help your fellow car collectors. Ed Vomero forwarded this to me..... >> Many of you may know about the legislation that was reintroduced into our state assembly to provide that...
Views: 236   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 17, 2015 4:26am
by Todd E. Frye
Ignition parts swapped out, still issues.
I have spent today mostly trying to get the car to run, which it is now, though rough, and I think maybe hot? I can still touch the rad hose. The parts that were switched were: New Ignition coil New condenser New rotor New Distributor Cap New Points The po...
Views: 249   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 16, 2015 3:04pm
by Bill Hoaglan
1929 Rugby on Australian TV
1929 Rugby on Australian TV While watching season two of Miss Fisher Mysteries in an episode called Marked for Murder I noticed what appeared to be a 1929 or 28 Rugby Touring car. It had a lime green body with black fenders and top. There were 3 or 4 scenes with...
Views: 270   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 15, 2015 10:07pm
by Frank Reed
Liquidating Big Estate - Will be selling 1926 Durant Star
My name is Amy Carlton and I am the owner of Great American Estate Sales in Grand Junction, CO. We are liquidating a massive estate and have for sale a 1926 Durant Star. We also will have a Durant Star radiator. Please visit our website at www.gjestatesales.net...
Views: 325   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 15, 2015 8:13pm
by Don Shilling
Durant with Woodlites?
Here's something on "Old Motor" that looks familiar. http://theoldmotor.com/?p=147268
Views: 249   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 15, 2015 7:10am
by Don Shilling
g
Gerald
Positive or negative ground?
I am installing a new coil. I saw that this is either a negative or positive ground system but I'm not sure which. Should my positive go to the distributor or negative. The old coil only had words like to dist and to battery. No polarity info on the bottom of the ol...
Views: 260   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 11, 2015 7:53am
by Gerald
Clutch
I am looking for advice on how to center the shaft coming out of the clutch. There is no pilot shaft and the clutch is held to the flywheel by 3 bolts. It is running out about .050" causing the engine to vibrate. When the clutch is not attached to the flywheel the...
Views: 289   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 10, 2015 1:39pm
by Matt Crull
Making of the Mob Television program on AMC
Anybody been watching "The Making of the Mob" on AMC channel. I watched the first two episodes and what are the Mobsters driving in a couple of scenes. A Flint. In several shots you can clearly see the Flint radiator emblem. Car belongs to a newer DMAC member in Mary...
Views: 222   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 7, 2015 5:04am
by Mike Linthicum
Napa, Standard motor, acdelco etc, which parts do I get?
I noticed there are several parts out there, I am going to get one of each of these as mine are looking pretty rough. I have been having stalling issues, so I thought this would be something that might help. I want to get: Condenser Distributor Cap Distributor...
Views: 753   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jul 6, 2015 5:45am
by Charles Spitz
DMAC & friends weekend in Guelph
Hi folks: Still not too late to come to Guelph, Ontario for the period June 28 to July 1. We have a good group planning on attending and lots of festivities planned. See information on the "Club Events" page. You snooze - you lose. Gord
Views: 279   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 3, 2015 9:44am
by Frank Witkowski
d
Dixi
Continental Flyer hood ornament
Hi, I own a hood ornament from a 1933 Continental Flyer. The car that was once attached to it was owned by my uncle who purchased it in 1934. Anyway, I am interested in what artist created this hood ornament. Does anybody here happen to know this? Regards
Views: 905   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 3, 2015 4:36am
by Norm Toone
Rugby / Star F Model.
Does anyone know the precise date when the first model F was first produced.
Views: 1499   Replies: 14
Last Post: Jul 1, 2015 7:01am
by Osvaldo Yamamoto
Bob Porter 1927 Star
Hello everyone, Our 1927 Star restoration has reached the point of paint. We are currently exploring colors and contemplating over which shade of blue to paint the body of the car. We are very fond of the 1927 Star Model M owned by Bob Porter; and would love to kn...
Views: 285   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 27, 2015 6:29am
by Mike Linthicum
Flint title
Anyone have a Flint title in a drawer?
Views: 220   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 25, 2015 8:07pm
by gary k
Language Barrier
I hope this is not an omen of difficulties ahead but, I called the hotel in Mendota Heights today concerning any extra fees and charges they would charge us. Instead of reaching the hotel I was redirected to someplace in Europe to a fellow speaking English with a hea...
Views: 302   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 25, 2015 6:56am
by Don Shilling
Starting Problem Solved
On the last West Coast Tour, my Star wouldn't start without priming it through the spark plug hole. This was true even when gasoline was dribbling out the carburetor intake. Once started, however, it ran fine. Roger showed me how to hold my hand over the carbureto...
Views: 272   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 24, 2015 8:12am
by dave enrico
Generator / Voltage Regulator Help Needed
Sirs : I think my charging gauge (on dash) does not work. I think my generator is charging but once this summer battery was dead. So: I got a volt-meter. Have been doing tests, all tests were done with engine running. Test #1 on battery poles show 6.0 volt...
Views: 585   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 21, 2015 9:24pm
by Don Palla
W5 engine valve clearance
What is the proper clearance for the valves for a 1926 Star with a W5 engine?
Views: 179   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 21, 2015 8:36pm
by Don Shilling
How to tell if my star is on the registry
wondering if my star 6 is on the registry? We just bought her a couple weeks ago. This is a new world for us! Tag says model R vin L-9511
Views: 342   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 16, 2015 8:06am
by Darlene
Major Demolition of the Former Durant Motors of Canada Head Office Building
Seems as though a housing developer is hell bent on demolishing most of the former Durant Motors of Canada Head Offices on Laird Drive in Leaside. Even though the building has Heritage status they are determined to convert it to seven story 109 unit condominium with...
Views: 370   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 13, 2015 10:22am
by Steve Large
n
Nestor
Mechanism of advance of the distributor
Hello, I have Rugby 1928 and I need information of the mechanism of advance of the distributor. The Rugby has command to the left side. As the rods are installed for moving the distributor.
Views: 202   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 12, 2015 10:27am
by Nestor
Finished my roof 1927 Model M Touring
Sir, I need help Have done everything to get a new roof on my touring star. Found irons, saddles and new ribs. Assembled all material and snaps and have had a roof built with snap secures so it is removable. Status Roof is on and sown and looks great. But h...
Views: 260   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 6, 2015 12:30pm
by Bill Hoaglan
1925 Star Touring Car for Sale in San Francisco Bay Area.
Just got this ad for a 1925 Star for Sale from one of the vintage Chevy guys. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5059695181.html Rick
Views: 211   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 6, 2015 9:39am
by Rick Botti
Durant Rugby Truck
I stumbled across this advertisement on the HAMB for what is being called a 1929 Durant Ruby Truck in Ottawa, Ontario. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/29-rugby-durant-truck.950374/ Anyone know what the story might be? Interesting at least.
Views: 278   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 6, 2015 3:27am
by Norm Toone
Durant Meet in Guelph
Who will be joining us at the Guelph meet this year. SUNDAY JUNE 28 to WED JULY 1 [see Club Events section] Mary and I will be there to see old friends and make new ones. Jack & Mary
Views: 280   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 5, 2015 10:35am
by Frank Witkowski
Two New West Coast Cars
http://s592.photobucket.com/user/scuba_dive_707/library/
Views: 450   Replies: 15
Last Post: Jun 4, 2015 3:31am
by Norm Toone
j
Jim
To buy or not to buy.
I am looking at a 1929 D40. It needs complete restoration. Will I be able to get parts at a reasonable price?
Views: 467   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 1, 2015 10:10am
by Norm Toone
14 L & 15 L water pump repair & restoration
Well my next project today was to remove my water pump off the side of my motor. Any tricks or secrets I need to know before I start to restore it? Started taking it apart and the shaft seems frozen, haven't really worked at it yet. The two cups on the top I presume...
Views: 260   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 1, 2015 5:51am
by Mike Linthicum
California Registered Motor Vehicle Tags
California started registering autos in 1905. Owners would get a small brass tag with the registration number on it. This would be attached to the car and the owner would make a larger plate with the number on it to hang on the back of the car. These brass tags we...
Views: 189   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 29, 2015 3:02pm
by Vince OBrien
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

The Durant Motors Automobile Club