Return to Website

Daniel Reeves Forum about life at 52!

Welcome to this forum. Feel free to post a message. I hope to read all my message as soon as you write them. Please go to my website to see more of who I am. 

Daniel Reeves Forum about life at 52!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Frank D. Reeves in U.S. History

Hi to all,
This blog is going to about my frank D. Reeves his Life and Works.
I am going to use the words of Dr. J. Clay Smith, Jr. Professor at the Howard University School of Law, to make my point that this man needs to be remembered.
I have put him on my web site at http://dankimtree311.tripod.com/.
The person I want to talk about is my Father: Frank Daniel Reeves:

“ Mr. Reeves was born on March 23, 1916 in Montreal, Canada. He moved to New York City in 1928, where he received his education. He earned both his undergraduate and law degrees from Howard University. Reeves graduated in the same class that produced Spottswood William Robinson III, James Aaron Washington, Jr., and twenty other lawyers, who like Mr. Reeves, would enter the legal profession throughout the United States. He was a member of the class of 1939.After receiving his law degree; Mr. Reeves went to New York City to work for the NAACP. Thurgood Marshall, who recognized his substantial interpretative intellect, relied on his legal skills. The 1950's proved to be a busy period in Mr. Reeves' life. During this time, Mr. Reeves was a key operative in helping to shape the landmark Brown v. Board of Education, 347 U.S. 483 (1954) (Brown I) and Brown v. Board of Education, 349 U.S. 294 (Brown II) (1955) which held that "separate but equal" in public schools based on race was unconstitutional (Brown I) and that desegregation should take place with all deliberate speed (Brown II).Reeves, like others, has earned an honored place in legal history. He joins a distinguished group of legal crusaders including Thurgood Marshall, Robert L. Carter, Louis Redding, Jack Greenberg, Spottswood W. Robinson, III, James Madison Nabrit, Jr., Constance Baker Motley, and Oliver Hill... He was the first African American appointed to the District of Columbia Board of Commissioners, an appointment that he declined (perhaps because he had higher political aspirations). In 1960, He became the first African American to serve on the Democratic National Committee and as an advisor on minority affairs to John F. Kennedy, who was then a Senator and the Democratic nominee for president. Frank Reeves' life was fully occupied with public service while teaching full time (Constitutional Law) at the Howard University School of Law during the 1960s. During this time, he also was counsel to the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and helped negotiate the historic March on Washington in 1963 and the Poor Peoples Campaign in 1967-1968. Perhaps, one of the most important cases that Professor Reeves was involved was the landmark case of Powell v. McCormick, 395 U.S. 486 (1969), a case challenging the refusal by Congress to seat Congressman Adam Clayton Powell of New York (Harlem). In Powell v. McCormick, the Court agreed with the arguments presented by Reeves and ruled in favor of Congressman Powell, holding that the House of Representatives was without power to exclude from its membership any person who was duly elected and met the age, citizenship and residential requirements stated in the U.S. Constitution.” Source: http://www.law.howard.edu/alumni/legalgiants/huslgiantoct2k1.htm

Well this is all I am puting in my blog for now see you soon. D.