General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Logan Mitcheltree

I would like to ask everybody to take a moment to read this news story. For those of you who have children I'm sure this will touch you in a way that no words can express.
Logan was a 9 year old who had autism, he wandered from his home Saturday afternoon, never to return. As a parent I can not begin to image the feeling of pain and sorrow that his family feels for him now.
Please consider helping this family out, if you can. I'm sure that if we all show a sign of support and comfort to this family, it can help ease their pan during this holiday season.
Thank you and Happy Holidays to you and your families.

Taken from the WNEP TV Channel 16 website:

A memorial service for Logan Mitcheltree will be held Wednesday evening in the South Williamsport High School auditorium. The public is invited to attend the service. The boy's family will use the service to thank everyone who helped look for Logan.

The boy's body was found early Tuesday morning, some 64 hours after he went missing from his home in South Williamsport. A forestry worker found the body in a wooded area about two miles from Logan's home. Officials believe the nine-year-old died Saturday night or Sunday morning, just hours after he disappeared. An autopsy will be done Wednesday at Lehigh Valley Hospital near Allentown. Police have said they do not think Logan's death is suspicious.

Now those who tried to help are talking about Logan's tragic death. "This morning when I left my home, I kissed my daughter goodbye. Today is her 11th birthday. I can't imagine being in the situation the Mitcheltree family is in today. So on behalf our department, I send my sincere condolences," said Lieutenant James Murtin of the Pennsylvania State Police.

Police, firefighters and volunteers met at the South Williamsport Fire Company after Logan's body was found to grieve and offer condolences to his family. "I have been directed by President George W. Bush and Attorney General John Ashcroft sympathies and deepest condolences to Mrs. Mitcheltree and her family," said U.S. Attorney Tom Marino.

The volunteers talked about the massive search that started Saturday afternoon. That's when the autistic boy who couldn't speak walked away from home. He was found dead in a heavily wooded area in nearby Armstrong Township, about two miles away. "With his age, the time he was gone, we never thought he'd make it as far as he did," said South Williamsport Police Chief Rex Lowmiller.

Logan was found near Skyline Drive, an access road through a forest near his home. A searcher caught a glimpse of his favorite orange backpack. He always had it with him. While they grieve his death, counselors urge those close to the case to take care, talk with family and get help if you need it.

The Mitcheltree family requests that, in lieu of flowers, contributions be made to the Logan Mitcheltree Fund, in care of M&T Bank, 405 River Road, Williamsport, PA 17701.

People who wish to send cards or other donations can send them to the First Southern Baptist Church, 89 Kimble Hill Road, Williamsport, PA 17701.

Re: Logan Mitcheltree

My prayers go out to this boys soul. The circumstances surrounding this boy are very tragic. I also feel very sorry for his family and loved ones. I could not imagine losing one of my children. This brings me to the point of my post. How can one allow for a child who has autism to wander from the home without your knowing? I do not know the circumstances but myself or my wife know where our children are at all times. I will be sending a contribution because as a said above, this is very tagic. I know I am going to get blasted for being unsensitive but does anyone share the same thoughts as myself

I don't feel that anyone should blast you for you view on why the child was allowed to wander off. Things happen, tragic things happen, every day.
Our thought process usually kicks in afterwards, hindsite in other words is usually 20-20. Some people use hindsite to criticize others faults, that is not the case here. We are dealing with a tragedy that should be handled with the utmost compassion, not criticism.
I wondered the same, but not knowing autism I learned last night that autistic people can be very impulsive and quick to act. Sometimes we find ourselves preoccupied with other projects or needs and all it takes is a split second.
As a parent I couldn't believe how fast my son would be half way up the steps when I would walk into the kitchen for a brief period. How many times when I turned to do something else and he would, still does, get himself into trouble. Testing the limits is what I call it. Children are curious by nature and sometimes that curiosity gets them in trouble.

This is a very tragic event for the entire Family and I agree with Kevin.

These are very sad times that we live in and no one can comprehend in their wildest imagination what it feels like to have to go through life with the loss of a child.

People don't mean to be insensitive but they forget what one has gone through because they are virtually unattached to the situation and they move on, but parents and family members in these situation never forget and it is a lingering, hauntingly miserable feeling that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

This is a time to offer emotional support to Logans family.

My Prayers are with the entire family for healing, support and Gods mercy.

Level of Play B

KEVIN, SEND ME AN E-MAIL WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE.

Level of Play B