AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Into the DEEP FREEZE!

SORRY, I left the freezer door open! Yesterday -36 actual temp today -23. Wind chills in excess of -50 to-60. I partially pity the guys in red trucks, and unsafelight. I bet they are still outside doing installs. Too bad for the unknowing customers, and too bad for frozen fingers. Makes me glad to have a place to bring them in! How far south is this deep freeze hitting?

Re: Into the DEEP FREEZE!

were down to mid fifties here in the south east but going to have a few nights below freezing and only in the forties on friday sucks.

Too bad your an idiot, no one at safelite is out doing installs when this weather is below zero.

Even I worked inside today, There is always a body shop or someplace to take the vehicles if you need to.
Wonder how many vehicles wont start in the morning???
Their already closing schools in NW Wisconsin!

Its in the 20's here and going to get colder throughout the day.

AGN

Gosh I've had it real tough this week. First I got sun burned. One of my OSHA approved sandals straps broke. The air conditioner in my work truck stopped working. Caught my shorts on a corner of a quarter panel yesterday and they tore. Tired of cleaning my Maui Jim shades from sweat.

It's darn hard having January temps in the 70's.

northern california, we hit 68 yesterday and going to be a little above 70 today. i feel sorry for you guys out east.bbbbrrrrrrrrr. wierd weather here

there are people out installing in 15 degree weather here, i am losing money making jobs because i wont do mobile today, i told them to leave it at my shop and i will drive you to work and pick you up at your work but they are to lazy. they think its great that they will come out in this weather

mobile PRO? hmmm be careful with the name calling, it may reveal something about you. I have seen it first hand, the sfl little red trucks installing in snow, cold, rain, doesn't matter, it's all about units, and greed, not consumer safety, or quality. And yes even with sub zero weather we see them out. This morning it is only -35 without the wind chill. Most schools are closed, and it is real brutal out there. I do not believe ANYONE other than maybe superman or Mr. Freeze could handle being outside today! Keep warm, be smart, and don't freeze the fingers! OUCH!

It's a balmy 8 here in Kansas with light snow falling. My techs already got their morning mobiles done- INSIDE the nice warm body shop. Now I just gotta deal with this farmer who can't understand why we don't want to climb up and down his snow covered John Deere tractor parked out in the middle of a pasture. And yeah, back in the bad old brand S days we would be outside installing in it. I was told "If you don't want to do your job we will find someone else to take your place."

you are mistaken there, there is no one in this market doind installs in this weather. they may hae in the old days, but not today....lost one today because i said no to working out in the cold.

I work for the best glass company in the entire nation. Abra auto body and glass. They keep us indoors and only schedule in shop all winter until the daily high temps are averaging above 40 degrees. Hello. Don't any of you know the primers don't work on vehicles below 40 degrees? I hope this AGRSS really weeds out the non hackers who don't pack the gear to serve in our beloved corp!! We need something to get rid of the pickup truck dash hackers out there.

My market dont install in this crap either. Just get off the safelite bandwagon alot has changed over the years.

Hey JR, Don't hack up the pinchweld and you don't need primer....

I for one am sick and tired of the sissys that wont work in 39 degree weather getting on here and telling us "HOW WRONG WE ARE", Sure I didn't work outside today, If it is above zero I am out working, doing a first rate job EVERYTIME.

Urethane to urethane is your best possible bond.
Primer is only used on the skuffs if and when there are any. On rare ocations where rust is involved if I have to prime the pinchweld I use a heat gun to flash the primer dry,
Last I checked I have not killed anyone. I am an LLC and have millions in insurance.
So, I decide to make money all year long and I actually LOVE IT!
I choose to live in Wisconsin, You couldn't pay me to live in Florida and work in 100 degree temps with 99% humidity.

hey JR.

sika and dow both are advertising primers working down to zero now. Of course common sence goes a long ways too...

keep up with the times bro. gota admit, I am a bit jealous though. Inside is nice...

Here in Raleigh, NC, it's 17 right now and the high is expected to be 27. We're not used to that type of cold around here. As for mobile work, it's Safelite's policy not to install below 0 degrees.

Was a big 0 here this morning, without factoring in the wind chill. Everybody wants a wall around the Mexican border, I say put a large fan down there to draw the heat up here and put the wall at the Canadian border to stop the cold air! LOL!!! (No insult intended to my southern or northern brothers of the glass.)

In freezing temps, do you not use tools such as the express? If so, how do you do it without water? I know cutting some WARM urethane can be a bear let alone frozen urethane. Then, to use the express without water? Talk about ruining an expensive tool. Am I missing something or is there a trick I am not aware of?

If you gota work in the cold with your exspress tool try using windshield washer fluid.I have been using it and so far it has been working.It hasent hurt the dash or any thing else either.Just a idea.

Thats what I use, The blue stuff. It can still freez nothing a little heat from the heatgun wont melt.
Sika slick is not the choice when it's below freezing, Maybe their working on that too!!!
I did not even go out today, It was -35 this morning, No school for the kids again, I just set everything up for next week, Not one person complained. Next week will feel like summer.

It was -25 at 6am when i left to go to the shop.We had 11 shop and 4 mobile all in side thank god.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com