AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
HOT WEATHER INSTALLS

Today Saturday 07/07/07 the midwest is hit with HOT HOT HOT temps. I was going to go out today and do a couple residential windows. It's 95 in the shade and one will sweat faster than you can mop it up with a dozen towels. I can't help but wonder how many w/s's get installed in temps to hot to do. High humidity, extreme temps, how does this affect primers mainly, and well, urethane probably loves the high temps and high humidity, but how do you work without dripping sweat all over your work. I decided it was too hot for my 52 year old body to fight with work today, and decided to get er done when the temps are back to under 80, and not so darn humid. What do others think and how do you handle the extremes,,,,, Just curious, and please don't start an argument, and or start name calling.

Re: HOT WEATHER INSTALLS

We supply the help ACME NUCLEAR #5 Industrial Strength Anti-perspirant and Deodorant.

One employee accidentally applied a double dose to himself, but he's recovering well after a week's hospitalization.

Seriously, the worst problem we've had to deal with is urethane that will skin quickly in the heat. We try to avoid direct sun whenever possible in those high temps, and gear to move quickly when applying the urethane and primers, and setting the glass. (104 here Friday, 103 Saturday, thank goodness the humidity was down to 30%)

Mostly, we try to work smarter, rather than harder, to deal with it. Having geared to in-shop installs years ago, it's easier, and a smarter move with gas prices what they are.

Something else, it's less shock to a person to ease up on the AC; going from AC cold to hot outside is harder on a person than just dealing with it with plenty of fluids and fans. Stepping from an air conditioned vehicle at 75 degrees to 100+ is like getting hit with a sledgehammer, and near the same when getting back into the van afterwards, then doing both again at the next install. Put a pop up vent/fan in the back of the van roofs, to ventilate better.

I know that's hard to beleive, but at the end of the day, it's very noticeable on the 'ol body, or the young body, both.

XXX I agree, Move to Arizona... Like flagstaff or snowflake ...

larry
snowflake and flaggstaff are great ideas for the summer months. but i would rather install in the dead of summer instead of freezing temps.
for the hot months all i do os wear long sleve shirts, put a good hat on, and most importantly drink plenty of water. however do not slam the water once your lips are dry(one of the first signs of dehidration), drink water on a regular basis but stay hydrated. other than that i can not wait until these temps go down. air temp might be 105, but the surface temp of the car or even the inside is going to be much higher.

Just be careful if you use ASAP like Safelite does.

DOUBLE CHECK THAT SDA chart VERY carefully. In hot temps ASAP is NOT ONE HOUR last time I checked.

Same thing in Wisconsin lately....shut 'er down and slayed a bunch of bass on Redstone and Dutch Hollow instead. They love the heat.

Re:Primer
applying primer in 80 above temp in sunlight is as bad as applying in under 40 temp. Primer will fail.

Muskies,all other fish are just bait glassgod! He he.

ccc - I know I read my sika cure times... ;) I am AGRSS I better know cure times

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com