AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
Diamond...Announces...Fuel Surcharges

Interesting timing, with the price of fuel dropping a bit, and all.....

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060928/phth047.html?.v=53

Just out of curiosity, has anyone noticed that the cost for the person DRIVING that mobile unit hasn't decreased any?

Re: Diamond...Announces...Fuel Surcharges

I wasn't able to access this, was this supposed to be nation wide?

Interesting Mark. I wonder how long it will last and if SGC or Belron will follow suit. I remember back in the day Globe Amerada would allow trip charges if we had to travel a certain distance. Can't wait to see how this one turns out though.
Thanks for the posting! Good info

Link is OK Glass Lady, try reload.

Site has a bunch of junk attached...freebies get you ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads and ads.

Thank's Mark

Safelite has been charging fuel surcharge for 6 months in our area (Southeast PA.) 2.50 per trip per customer-

good for them! =)

Re: Re: Diamond...Announces...Fuel Surcharges

How do they collect? From the customer or insurance?

Mark1,
Your right, the price of gas is dropping. But for how long? If recent history has taught us anything, its that the price will probably go down long enough for everyone to stop complaining and then shoot up higher than its ever been. Surcharge=Smart Move

Everyone from the glass warehouses and my garbage removal has been forced to initaite fuel service charges, I strongly agree with such charges. It's not price gouging it's simple business. Honestly, I feel mobile service should be more costly then shop service....it's called customer convience. In every other part of our economy, things like higher quality, excellent service, and companies going the extra mile usually has an additional cost attached to it and usually it's worth every dime! Congrats Diamond Triumph....it's about time!

Correct sir.

Okay-it appears Diamond will charge for mobile service instead of giving it for free. Looks like a good step.

I would think this would be a positive move, eliminating those w/o storefronts, moving business back into the shops?

wow, hal, that leap in logic really floors me.

i never even thought of that angle, i think that shows the power insurance companies think they have over consumer choice. I really think glass shops need to start fulfilling their duty pointed out in the legal document from Texas.

the insurance company should not be involved in the decision making process for the insured, they should be reimbursing the customer for the costs of having the damages fixed where they want to go, marketing customers when they turn in a claim is just wrong.

also remember, store front shops are paying fuel surcharges as well on each and every delivery.

My goodness Hal, where did that come from?

"I would think this would be a positive move, eliminating those w/o storefronts, moving business back into the shops?"

Off topic, leap of logic, is right. Are you trying to stir up a hornets nest and divert attention from fuel surcharges, or does it just look that way?

I don't get it, Hal basically OK's the charging of fuel charges and instead of taking advantage of it we insult the guy?

I agree mobile should cost more. Why should the insurred pay the cost? Insurance Co.s should pay if the insurred has full coverage. Have insrance companies bullied us to the point that we take the coward’s way out and go around them? Does the already battered insured now have to bear this expense too?

Mobile service fees are not directly related to a covered loss. Convenience fees such as these would need be paid by the vehicle owner.

A friend of mine had his Florida homeowners insurance premium jump from $1800.00 to $7500.00 this year.

Let's see now, the supplier( insurance company ) had his expenses( claims )go up so he raised his prices ( premiums )

What a concept !!!!!

Hey Hal !

Doesn't it make sense for the mobile guy to raise their prices when the gas goes skyward ??

First, Convenience Fees not covered in the policy...Hal that makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Now, does the Safeite network contract you have that the shop signs to be on your network have the shop agree to only charge what you determine to be fair and reasonable for the job?

If so, and you/Safelite don't determine that mobile surcharges are fair and reasonable, will you cite a breach of the agreement if the shop charges for extras of any kind?

I ask this because I have seen exactly this happen. At the time, it was over fast cure urethanes when the customer requested ASAP service. The insurer verbally agreed that the shop could charge extra for these items to the customer, in that the insurer wasn't responsible under the policy, but when the shop did charge the extra few dollars, the insurer and network came back to the shop with the written/signed network contract in hand and demanded they stop charging the extra amounts.

How does your network contract read? Will State Auto allow the charges for convenience items to the insured without Safelite demanding the charges cease due to the shops written network agreements?

Who has a current copy of the Safelite agreement so we can check the language?

Second, Hal fuel surcharges are not limited to mobile service. We are paying them on all incoming items. It's not just about mobile.

I think the State farm decision (not waiving deductible for repairs) has already stirred a hornets nest. Insureds are getting smart in haste. Insureds are also getting fed up with insurance company record PROFITS while they are getting less and less for their (insured's) money.

Hal,

I think I like you more when are warming the bench....

OMG,

no need to nag at hal, at least he has the guts to input an opinion periodically. That is one heck of alot more than any other insurance company representative does.

it is interesting to get his perspective, for instance, look earlier in this thread. He came up with the angle that if mobile charges start being charged, that mobile glass companies will loose market share.

with hals input sooner or later maybe we can arrive at a solution that allows glass shops to fulfil the obligation of being a advocate for the consumer. i have had things explained in lots of ways, but reading the court document from texas, really communicated to me. How many shops do you know that are advocates for the customer versus being a puppet of the insurance company that pulls their strings? how many of us are putting in windshields that we know have not been crash tested, does that fit your definition of standing up for your customer, and doing the right thing? Are we taking for granted that if the government allows their sale, they have met some kind of standard?

there are valuable opinions on this board, even when we disagree.

Well I guess I will be nice to Hal, thanks for reminding me.

I do want to make a proposal though! I nominate Mark1 to debate Hal in a open discussion with no holds barred........anyone want to second that!

To- OMG that responded at 9:11 pm Oct 2nd,2006....How did you get the name OMG?

It was stated in an earlier post concerning this article, that a bold move was made. This was not a bold move, it was a move of desperation. Would I like to be paid a surcharge for the fuel my mobile vans consume...certainly. These guys, who, by the way,helped destroy the meaning of "fair market value" in my area and probably yours, will get no support from me (falling in line). It was only a matter of time!

RJ, Amen!! You must be in the midwest! LOL!! D/T is still being D/T, at least in my market. They quoted a customer $12%.00 on a DW1330 yesterday (including moldings)!

Sorry, that 12% was supposed to be $125.00. Typing tooooo fast! LOL!

Glass Lady

Northeast...the foliage is peaked and beautiful
in the Adirondacks!

Sorry, that was supposed to be $125.00, not 12%. Typing too fast! LOL!!

Glass Lady

Northeast, where the Adirondacks are beautiful and in peak foliage.
Good luck in your indeavors. 37 years in this crazy industry helps one "cut to the chase".

RJ, sounds like my idea of heaven!! I am truly a county girl!! You are one up on me. I have been in this industry for 16 years, my husband has been installing for 26. We started our own business a few years ago, but prior to that, both worked for National companies. Best move we ever made, headaches and all! LOL!!

Dearest Hal,

I think the time has come for you to stop trying to present valid reasons why Safelite does business the way they do. No one, and I mean no one, here will ever come to accept the complete and total lack of business integrity on Safelite's part.

While Safelite does not stand alone in it's lack - D/T and I hate to say, Belron (AGS in our area) share in the fun and games - the fact is this group of businesses has done little to enhance our business and everything to hinder it's growth.

The fact that the management has not come forward to stop the "bad mouthing" near slanderous talk coming out of their employees mouths is apalling. I can't speak for anyone else but management inaction tells me that this type of behavior is acceptable to them.

it's revolting..... but i guess it doen't make you a bad person.... just a programmed one....

sorry.... i guess someone hit a nerve

I would think that if we are being charged a delivery surcharge fee from the suppliers and our prices are being raised 3.5% as well, we should have no problem increasing our invoices to the insurance companies as well.
Has anyone tried getting authorization for a delivery surcharge fee yet? Just curious!

maybe d/t can use the extra money from fuel surcharges to give their employees a raise . they hve had one raise in the last four years.

actually glasswoman, if we stop and think about it for a minute,,,,,,logically,,,,,,,,,,,,,we have to ask if it is okay for us to raise our price?

that sure does show who is in control of pricing, i am sorry to say, unfortunately i have no solution.

this board would be awful quiet if, nobody could post unless they had a solution, ha ha.

is hal's company auto owners'? i forget,,,,,i would almost switch to his company just because he has guts enough to post here, i have state farm now, but don't ask me why.

Glass Lady, What area are you in, they're pretty low by me too in northern Illinois.

I'm in Ohio, do you work for Bud Shore?

They may have issed a fuel charge but have you seen the prices that both D/T and Safelite are offering GM dealerships? Fixed prices $165 installed for a Colbolt

He works for d/t,glasslady.

Alot of times dm's or some kind of managment from d/t or safelite will act like a regular poster to get info and opinions.Not that it means alot but glassinc is from d/t acting sneeky.He will change his poster name but very easy to catch.

Who, Kind of figured that, that's why I said Ohio

If he can fish, so can I!! LOL!

D/T and Safelite are faxing a sheet of fixed prices to all dealership in New England. The price are so low $165 installed for a Colbolt. Why bother charging a fuel charge when you are giving away your product and wreaking the industry?

They are faxing it in the North East as well. I've received it 3x's! We get the message, same ( your word here) different day

What happened to D/T focusing on Quality & Service? Yeah, right, another B/S marketing tactic that never play's out.

I suppose they would have us believe that since they manufacture their own glass, that leaves enough profit margin @ $165.00 per, to cover quality adhesives, as well as well paid certified techs. Are you buying what they're selling, I bet GM is!

D/T manufacturers their own glass? That would be S/G.

That might explain Safelite, but it certainly doesn't explain Diamond.

They are most likely going with the volume brings $$$ theory. No, wait, that would be SG. LOL!!

Yes I was referring to Safelite, I don't know that much about DT.

I haven't seen these faxes to GM dealers, I'm far from the NE but the post ^ reads like the offer is from both. Are they seperately making the exact same offer to the same dealers?

1 2

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com